Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Still Burdened For Kermit

One year and five days ago I wrote a blog about Kermit, TX. I had a couple of dreams that drew me to pray for and eventually make several trips to pray with some people and teach a few Bible studies. Before all was said and done I had a dozen dreams specifically related to Kermit.

For months I made that trip to Kermit on a weekly basis. Many thought I was crazy. I have long ago dismissed what the people think when it comes to my following God's leadership. We had a good time and I got to know some wonderful people in Kermit. Eventually the small study got smaller and then it became apparent I was not needed there. I made my last trip to Kermit December of 2014. It seemed a door had shut. All of the people who attended the Bible study, with the exception of a couple, ended up attending the same church. Most of them had attended that church long before I came to Kermit. I saw my role as done. The church had just called a new pastor and in no way did I want it to appear I was competition with him. I bowed out wondering what it all meant.  I was happy for the church and prayed God would bless them and the new pastor. I have continued to pray that. God has blessed that church as I have heard from time to time. I shout, "Praise the Lord," for His might work there.

The burden for Kermit has not lifted.  This morning while praying the burden intensified more so than any  other time since last December. For now my role is prayer. I continue to be drawn to that little west Texas town. I have pleaded with the Lord to show me what it all means. Only He can reveal why He has given me a burden for that town.

I do not think God wants me to move to Kermit. He is working in Faith Community Church like I have not seen in these four years. These are good days. I do not think God is calling me to move. Yet there is something deep, a drawing, a burden, a compassion, an interest in Kermit that I find unshakable and irresistible. All I know to do is keep praying for God to move in that town.

Kermit is a town where I hardly know anyone. The few people I do know I barely know only acquainted with them as a result of some Bible studies. God has Kermit on His mind and heart. He keeps pressing it on mine. I cannot dismiss it. So I ask the Lord to reveal His plans.

So here is my heart felt prayer for the people of Kermit, TX.

Dear Father,

You know all about Kermit. You know ever resident there. You know them all by name. You are aware of their every thought, their every deed both good and bad, and You want to work in that town. You know the private pains and fears of those who reside there. You know the wickedness as well. You are also very aware of what is happening in the oil and gas industry and how that impacts the people of Kermit.

There are many churches and many pastors in Kermit. Some have been there for years and labored long and lovingly to their flocks. Some churches have seen better days. I ask You to usher in new days of refreshing for each church. I ask You to revive the people of Kermit. I ask You to breathe new life on each congregation and begin reaching out and saving those lost people. I ask You to begin in the schools. I ask You to start a new work among elementary, junior high, and high school students. I ask You to stir new fire in teachers, coaches, and administrators. I ask You to fill Your houses with Your glorious presence week after week as Your truth is expounded and as praise filled worship fills the room.

How many people carry a heavy burden for Kermit? I know You have set watchmen and watch women on the walls of Kermit to pray. I know You have a remnant who plead with You to revive that town. I ask You to strengthen them and allow them to see the fruit of their years of prayer. I ask You to fill that town with Your wonder working power.

Lord, You have targeted Kermit for something greater. You have chosen that town for something. For every shepherd there I ask You to encourage them. I ask You to not let them lose heart. I ask You to build them up and set a new vision and a new power in their ministries. I ask You to allow them to see the fruit of their labors.

I ask You to push back the Kingdom of darkness. I ask You to push back the darkness in individual hearts who get saved, in families torn apart by sin as You restore broken marriages, and in the work place as You set the tone for the work environment. I do not know when this will happen but I ask You to work in Kermit like they have never seen before.

I ask You to keep the burden heavy on my heart night and day so I continue to join the others there in prayer. I ask You to direct me in how to pray. Please do not let me lose the burden to pray for that town I have come to care so much about. I know You are at work. I give You praise for that. I bless Your name for Your faithfulness. I bless You for all You have done in Kermit and all You will do in the future. I trust You for all of this in Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment