Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Realizatoin

In the fifth chapter of 2 Samuels God fulfilled a long awaited vision in David's life when he was made  King over the whole nation of Israel. He had been reigning as king in Judah for seven years. Finally the day came when all Israel anointed and accepted David as King.

As God blessed David and Israel, David came to the realization of all God had done for him. The word realization means to consider, to contemplate, and to pause to take it all in.

That is what I am doing writing this. I am sitting at the local cafe here in Paradise, TX jotting down these thoughts. I recall four years ago coming back to this cafe with no home to live in, no church meeting place other than a daycare, and no office. All I had was a call of God, a dream to start a new church, and some faith to trust God to do it. I used this cafe most every morning to be my office. I Hs no place to go. Ray Ann Gentry, the owner, kidded me about paying rent because I sat here so long. I've had some wonderful times in this cafe. Brenda and I have celebrated birthdays, Valentine's Days, ordinary lunch dates, and Saturday morning family breakfasts with all the boys over the years.

Brad and Ray Ann Gentry have always treated us kindly. I am thankful for then allowing me to hang out here for breakfast and lunch meetings. They have allowed me to sit here hours uninterrupted to write both books and blogs. I have come here on occasion to study for sermons. The Finish Line Cafe is a second home to me. I love the wait staff and often engage them in lively conversations about the Lord.

Today, God has blessed me with a home. We prayed for two years before our house in Seminole sold but it did sell. I have a home office right off the master bedroom as well as an office in our rental space for the church. I rarely have to use this cafe as an office. It is a good reminder today to recall all the good work God has done over these past four years. Much has changed over these four years. We had one son graduate and have another one now going through his senior year. It is hard to believe how time has flown by. Even with all of that I am sitting here in this same little country cafe realizing all the Lord has done for me. I am a blessed man.

God blessed me with an incredible wife. SHMILY. Ask her what it means. My boys bless me in wonderful ways. I enjoy watching them learn of the Lord and serve Him. I enjoy watching them play ball. I mostly enjoy sitting around the table talking with them over dinner and laughing as we make memories.

I realize I have been blessed to serve wonderful churches in the past. I also realize God is allowing me to serve a wonderful group of people now. In a recent sermon I challenged people to get out of their comfort zones and go minister to people who are suffering. Two of the shyest women in our church went to the hospital to minister to a lady battling cancer who rarely gets visitors. I am so proud of both of them. I know that was not easy but what a joy to serve people who take listening to the Lord and obeying Him so seriously. I am proud of young men on the football team who take prayer seriously and living for God seriously. They have faced much adversity during this season but they have not given up on God, their head coach, or one another.

The people of Faith Community Church love me. Though they are not rich people they sacrifice in multiple ways to support, not only the church,  but my family also. They pray for me. They are patient with me. They follow and trust my leadership. They encourage me. We all get along. We are unified and do not have fussing and fighting like so many churches do. We have gone through hard times together. We have weathered many storms and trials that come with planting a new church. We are seeing the Lord turn things around for good. Worship services are exciting. Preaching has been joyful. God is moving among us. New faces are showing up.

I realize the blessing of living in a small town. This week I sat in a front yard to watch the small town homecoming parade. I have laughed with people, I'v had deep spiritual conversations with people. I have driven down the road and honked at friends and reconnected with people I have not seen in awhile. All of it just part of another day in Paradise.

Sitting before me is a plate of piping hot food and iced down unsweet tea. I realize many people will not even eat one meal like this today or any day such at the refugees flooding into Greece. I am blessed. I had a good breakfast. Enjoyed my private lunch and expect I will eat some supper after church tonight.

Tonight I will sit down in a padded chair and open my tattered Bible to teach timeless truths to adults. We will meet in a climate controlled room with beautiful wall decorations. Our students will gather in the warehouse where the temperature will be cooled. They will be surrounded by many adults who love them and given a great environment to have fun and be challenged by God's word. These are the facilities God has provided for Faith Community Church. They are simple, adequate, and blessed of the Lord.

I am a blessed man like David. God, thank you for bringing me to these realizations today. I ask You to do the same for multiple others during their day. In Jesus name, amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment