Sunday, October 5, 2014

You Are My Pastor

God first called me to the ministry in the spring of 1985. He sealed it for me on July 4, 1985 at the Pineywoods Baptist Encampment. I knew He called me to preach. People often asked me early on what I would do. Would I be a pastor, youth pastor, or evangelist? I did not know. All I knew was God called me preach. Over the years I have served as a youth pastor, pastor, church planter and an evangelist.
Many people see me as an evangelist or revivalist more than a pastor. It is not hard to see why. I often preach hard fiery messages. I am content to spend hours alone in prayer, reading, and Bible study rather than working a crowd of people.
Yet, I have felt a call and desire to serve as a pastor. Over the past couple of decades I have discovered there is much more to being a pastor than preaching. A true pastor is a great shepherd. This is something I have worked hard at. I have found some of the most meaningful moments in ministry did not happen behind a pulpit but rather in a hospital room or in a living room.
Today, I ministered to a grieving husband who just lost his wife. He is a very connected man. He knows a lot of preachers. Many of them are very successful. Some serve in some of the largest churches. When his wife died I thought he would contact one of them to do the main part of the service.
When I mentioned this to him at his home he gave me one of the greatest compliments of my entire life. He said, "You are my pastor." What a tremendous blessing that statement proved to be. Yes, I love preaching. Preaching is one of the things I think God put me on this earth to do. Yet shepherding the flock is my calling. Shepherding people touches them deeper than any sermon. People forget what I preach. They remember when the pastor shows up in their time of crisis and walks the road of suffering with them. Charles Roberts and Bob Harper modeled the life of a shepherd for me. I learned from their example. They loved their flock and made themselves available to them. I am grateful for God brining those two men into my life.
Tonight I am also grateful to have heard four simple words. You. Are. My. Pastor. I am humbled tonight by the powerful words from a grieving man to this fiery prophet who longs to be a faithful pastor. [I Pet 5:2]

No comments:

Post a Comment