Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Great Is His Faithfulness

I got up yesterday and packed for a short trip. We had no extra money. Sitting on my dresser was $2.25. I resolved that I would not use my credit card. I had a full tank of gas and $2.25 in my pocket and told the Lord I would step out in faith and trust Him.I asked Him to help me along the way. 
I got a call from a friend while driving near his town wanting to know if we could get together for lunch. I almost declined since it would be a little out of the way and then I thought maybe God might be up to something. We met at a Mexican food place. I did not order contented to eat chips and salsa.
We talked about what the Lord is doing in my life. We talked a lot about faith. He then looked at me and commented, "You probably do not even have gas money in your pocket." I did not respond knowing he was right. Then he reached in his wallet and gave me $70. PRAISE THE LORD. That is the money I used to refuel on my trip.
Faith Community needs a piano. We asked God for one and I made a few calls to some people I know. Thursday I will be picking up a piano God has provided to take back with me. God answered another prayer. GREAT IS HIS FAITHFULNESS.
Last night I went to visit a family I previously served as pastor. We sat around the table talking about the Lord and scripture. The patriarch of the family got up at one point for a few moments and returned. When I left he shoved a check into my hand telling me he did not want me to leave without a little money. He did not know my need. I did not tell him. I have not even looked at the check yet. I just know God heard my prayer and once again has made provision.
This reminds me of a preaching trip I made many years ago. I had been scheduled to preach for two weeks. Money was tight. I prayed for weeks knowing the trip was coming up and we did not have the money for me to travel.
My car needed to be inspected but it failed because my tires were in such bad shape. I had enough money to get a tank of gas. I had three quarters in my pocket. Brenda walked me to the car in tears asking what I would do. I told her, "I will drive as far as I can drive and if I run out of gas with no more provision I will stand on the side of the road and tell the Lord I trusted Him." She wept as I backed out of the drive way to leave for two weeks.
In route a friend invited me to have lunch with him about an hour and a half away from home. I prayed over that whole lunch that he would offer to pay. He began grilling me about bow I was doing. I told him about my car needing tires to pass inspection.
He paid for lunch for which I rejoiced. He then asked me to follow him. We ended up at a tire store. He bought me four used tires. I resisted but he said if the roles were reversed I would do the same for him. After paying he walked out with an envelope with cash in it and handed it to me. He instructed me to take it. I hesitated but he insisted and I swallowed my pride knowing my need. I thanked him and we parted ways.
When I got back on the road I looked in the envelope. He and given me $260! I shouted HALLELUJAH and began to weep in praise to a faithful God. I called Brenda and told her the news. She wept as well. Over those next two weeps I bragged on God for what He had done. I told that story repeatedly and God blessed. God kept blessing. By the time I returned home from that preaching trip God had blessed me with over $2,000. Much more importantly dozens of people were saved and delivered from the kingdom of darkness and transferred to the kingdom of light. That would have never happened if I had not been willing to leave with only three quarters in my pocket.
Some of you are facing a financial crisis. It looks bleak. You think there is no way out. Your prayers have not been answered. Your faith is small and crumbling before your eyes as you look at your dwindling money and the great need. Remember [I Thess 5:24]. He is faithful. Remember [Phil 4:19] where God promises to be your provider. Recall [Matt 6:19-33] and do not worry but trust your Heavenly Father who knows your need and provides for the flowers of the field and the birds of the sky. You are of much more worth to Him than flowers or birds. He will provide for you as well. GREAT IS HIS FAITHFULNESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment