Monday, October 13, 2014

Yes

As a teenager I gave Jesus my first yes when I called out to Him for salvation. Still a teenager, I gave Jesus another yes when He called me to preach though scared to death. Over the years there have been many invitations by God to join Him and by faith many times I have given Him my yes. I said yes to serving as a youth minister in Weatherford, TX. I said yes to serving as a pastor in Burke, TX. I said yes when He called me begin an evangelistic itinerant ministry. I said yes to starting a church in Hudson, TX. I said yes to living by faith when the church did not fare so well. 
Eventually I said yes to a church in Paradise, TX. After four glorious years serving that church God placed a new call on my life. It is a night I cannot forget. I was preaching in Seminole, TX to a group of students. The church needed a pastor and they approached me that weekend. I wrestled all Saturday afternoon with this new possibility. I did not want to start over. I loved the flock I served in Paradise. Nevertheless, I preached a sermon to myself on Romans 12:1. At the end I walked off the stage to my left and knelt by the steps at the organ and gave God my yes. I prayed, "Lord if nobody in this sanctuary really means laying their life on your altar tonight I do. Even if that means you want me to move to Seminole. Months later I returned to those same steps as the new pastor of FBC Seminole. What a blessed and rich two years we enjoyed there. There are no words to describe them. 
In 2011 God issued a new call to follow Him. After months of praying I said yes again to starting a church back in Paradise. It was a hard yes. A yes that has proven costly for my family. Many tears have been shed over that yes. There have been tests and trials galore over that yes. 
Last night I preached from Exodus 3:1-14 about God's call on Moses, When I finished and offered the invitation, I stepped down from the stage and went to the back of the room. I fell to my knees and bowed my face to the concrete floor of that auditorium. On Oct 12,2014 I gave God my open yes. Once again I laid my life down on his altar as an offering to Him. If nobody in that room meant giving God their yes last night I did. It was no emotional decision. God stirred in me and demands and deserves my yes. 
This morning I am still giving Him my yes. I don't know what that means in the long term. In the short term I will preach one more time to these students this morning and then drive back home. Lord willing on Wednesday night I will be back in our church teaching through the book of I Samuel to our adults and then to our students. 
I pray for the strength, faith, and courage to give God my yes all of my days. Have you given God your yes today? Will you give Him your yes no matter what it means, what it costs, or how outlandish it may appear? God deserves our ever yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment