Thursday, October 30, 2014

Stopped In My Tracks

I had the thought of spending some time in the Psalms this morning in my devotion giving God praise. I opened to a random Psalm prepared for a prayer journey of praise. God stopped me in my tracks.

The first phrase brought conviction. Instead of praise I began to repent. The next phrase I read brought additional conviction. More repentance followed. So continued this same course for two verses phrase after phrase. God's truth penetrated and pierced. This continued throughout my time until I got to this one phrase in [Psalm 100:3],  "Acknowledge that the Lord is God."

I could not get past that. I sought God for who He really is and not for just who I conceive Him to be. Humbly I prayed and meditated on the greatness of God. His power. His wisdom. His sovereignty. He being the source of joy and gladness. He being a refuge.

My mind bent as well as my heart as I thought on Him as Creator, Redeemer, Counselor, Helper, Peace, Sustainer, Mountain Mover, Miracle Worker, Deliverer, and Savior. He loves Paradise and Kermit. He is at work in Texas, Arkansas, Oregon, New York, Maine, Florida, Georgia and all the other sates. He is passionate for people in Canada, New Zealand, Australia, China, Korea, Columbia, and every other nation on the face of the earth. He is never tired. He never needs a nap. He never is fatigued. By His spoken word alone His will is accomplished.

The heavens are His throne and the earth is His footstool. [Is 66:1] God hung millions of stars in the galaxy effortlessly like a person hanging an ornament on a Christmas tree. [Ps 8:3] Planet earth hangs in space and yet has a firm foundation. Australia is at the bottom of the earth and is surrounded by water.  Yet, the water is held in place and not spilled out like water in an upside down bucket. The hem or edge of His garment filled the temple in Isaiah's vision. [Is 6:1]

This is the God who relates to us. He knows us by name. The very hairs on our head are numbered. [Matt 10:30] His thoughts toward us are more numerous than the grains of sands. [Ps 139:17-18]

I had my devotion agenda this morning but God had something totally else in mind. He stopped me in my tracks to remind me He is bigger than I can conceive, greater than I can imagine, stronger than I can fathom, and wiser than I can comprehend. How could I not worship.

Honestly, God awed me this morning. He stopped me in my tracks reminding me who He is in comparison to who I am. John the Baptist had it right when he said, "He must increase and I must decrease." [John 3:30] I pray God will stop me  in my tracks more often. I pray He will do that for all of us in a morning devotion, in a worship service, in a group Bible study, on a walk in a park, on a beach, through the woods, or in a vehicle driving somewhere.

We live so fast paced we seldom really take the time to prayerfully meditate on scripture. When we do God speaks. Those encounters can be very profound. We all need more God encounters. Not religious devotions where we mindlessly go through the motions. We need ravenous souls for more of God and more revelation of Him through His word. We need to linger longer in His presence halting the daily agenda for sweet refreshing of our souls.

Just a few months ago I was in the darkest most depressed state of my life. As of late God has never seemed more real, His word more alive, and our encounters more dynamic. Pray through the scriptures and look for those divine moments when God stops you in your tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment