Monday, May 1, 2017

I Saw Her From A Distance

After weeks of traveling and preaching in other places I preached at Faith Community Church yesterday. After talking to our sound guy I noticed someone. I saw her from a distance sitting alone. I don't know why I knew something was wrong. She dressed very classy. From the outside no-one would know anything was wrong with her except she sat with her head bowed.

From the back of the room I felt this lady carried deep sadness in her heart. I approached her before the service began and quietly slipped into the seat next to her. I asked, "Are you okay?" She assured me nothing was wrong. She insisted she was fine. I took her at her word.

Soon the service started and my attention turned to prayer for God to speak to His people. I got so caught up in the message I forgot about the lady until afterward. When the service ended I busied myself talking to people. After lunch I had a meeting.

I could not forget about the sad woman. Though she insisted she was fine I continued to carry a burden that she carried deep sorrow and sadness. Later in the day I contacted her one last time. This time instead of asking if she was okay I said, "I feel like you are very sad about something."

With that comment the tears started flowing. For the next hour and a half she poured out her soul. Deep sadness. Betrayal. Broken heart. Rejection. Entrenched pain. All of it came flowing out.

I listened for a long time. I could not offer any words of wisdom and she had no interest in hearing any.. She needed a friend, her pastor, and a listening ear. I could offer that. Later that night when I went to bed I could not sleep. An hour after tossing and turning I got up. Brenda asked me what was wrong. I could not tell her I could not sleep because of the heavy burden I carried for the sad lady. So I got up to pray. Prayer seemed the only thing I could really do for this lady.

Well past 1:00 a.m. I finally went back to bed. When I awoke this morning I continued to carry a burden for the sad lady. Only God can comfort and help her. I trust God will.

Psalm 34:18-19 (ESV)
18  The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
19  Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all.


I trust the Lord will draw near to this lady and deliver her from her sorrows. He will do same for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment