Monday, May 22, 2017

Stranded By The Providence Of God

After preaching in Kermit, TX yesterday morning Brenda and I were on our way back home when her car began malfunctioning. We have now dealt with this same issue four different times in the past six months. 

Though the car is drivable it will only go about 45-50 miles an hour. We had made it to Odessa but Odessa is still six hours away from Runaway Bay even when able to drive the speed limit. Neither of us felt comfortable trying to risk it. 

We weighed our options and decided to try to make it to Seminole to stay with some friends. We limped into Seminole and made our plan of what to do next. 

Though I am supposed to be at a community prayer meeting in Kermit tonight at 7:00 p.m., my plan had been to return home with Brenda and then turn around and make the return trip. We were trying to get her back to go to work this morning. God had other plans. 

So I find myself in the Gaines County Library with a lot of time to pray, read scripture, ponder and write. 

I am pondering the providence of God in our getting stranded here. We have been able to reconnect with friends. I am also glad we were not stranded somewhere on I-20 where long distances span in between towns between Midland and Abilene. 

Of course the car malfunctioning again, after putting it in the shop twice since April 24, is frustrating. As I sit at my little isolated wooden table surrounded by shelves of books I feel at home though. I also feel peace. God is testing me. I want to pass the test. I am resolved to trust Him no matter what I have to face today or tomorrow. 

I do not blame the mechanics. They are as baffled as we are. I do not blame God. He is good and faithful. So I ask God what He wants me to learn from this experience. If nothing else Brenda and I have more time together. Maybe there is something much more I am supposed to learn and experience. Maybe there is a great truth He is about to reveal to me. It appears He is setting the stage for another testimony. I wait expectantly for what He will do next. 

In the meantime, I am thankful for friends. I have a friend loaning me a trailer to get Brenda's car back home. I have another friend driving out here from home today. He will pull the trailer and take Brenda and I back home in the morning. 

My God is in control and I am not. I trust Him. He was not taken unaware that Brenda's car would malfunction so far away from home. He had a place for us stay last night and food for us eat. He provided me a secluded place to seek Him and to write. 

We all face difficulties. God does not forsake us in the midst of them. He orchestrates and allows some tests so He can glorify His name and give us a new testimony. I don't know how all of this will end but I do believe God will glorify Himself through this somehow. I do believe we will see His goodness. 

Until then we are stranded in Seminole. A pretty good place to be stranded. I have all I need. In this I content myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment