Friday, May 19, 2017

Heavy Blows

Off the island of Okinawa in 1945 a fierce navy battle happened. In that battle Kamikaze pilots were sent on a suicide mission. One certain battle ship that had been in use during the D-Day became the target of those Kamikaze pilots. 

Within two minutes that battleship got hit in rapid succession and sank. Today is lies 150 feet deep on the ocean floor. A sad watery tomb for dozens of navy sailers. The heavy blows were too much for that mighty battleship. 

Life can hit hard like the Kamikaze pilots. Sometimes life lands heavy blows. Blows filtered through the fingers of God. When you are doubled over from one blow another blow can hit just as hard buckling the knees. Another pummeling blow can send you down to floor. 

That is where I have lived for some time now. One heavy blow after another. Even when reeling from one heavy blow I have been blindsided by another and then another. In less than five minutes I received two more blows in rapid succession today. The nature of the blows is not important. How to respond is most important. 

Sometimes it would be easier to just give up, to stay down on the canvas for a count of ten and being declared out of the contest. Faith demands we keep praying and we keep trusting. Faith demands we summon the courage to fight another day, to go another round, and to toe the mark again. Faith in God means we keep getting back up no matter how many times we get knocked down. 

Where do you turn in such times when your boat has been hit with heavy blows and is taking on water? Whether your blows are emotional, physical, spiritual, psychological, financial, or relational where do you turn for help? 

There is only one place. Only One is capable of helping people hit with heavy blows in all walks of life. Only One is strong enough to to help people weather the heavy attacks and offer rescue and refuge. Yahweh, Jehovah. I Am. God. 

Psalm 46:1 (ESV)
1
 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Psalm 23:1-6 (ESV)
1
 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2  He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.
3  He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

Psalm 34:1-19 (ESV)
1
 I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2  My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad.
3  Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together!
4  I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.
5  Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed.
6  This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him and saved him out of all his troubles.
7  The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them.
8  Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
9  Oh, fear the LORD, you his saints, for those who fear him have no lack!
10  The young lions suffer want and hunger; but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.
11  Come, O children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
12  What man is there who desires life and loves many days, that he may see good?
13  Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit.
14  Turn away from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
15  The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry.
16  The face of the LORD is against those who do evil, to cut off the memory of them from the earth.
17  When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.
18  The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
19  Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment