Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Wandering Feet And Wandering Heart

3. O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let that grace now like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

I sang those words while at FBC Hammond, LA last week. I wept as I sang them as I looked at my own heart. How great a debtor every single day I am. How deeply in need of grace I remain. Only by grace can my wandering feet be found to my Savior. 

Sometimes I wander in my love and devotion. Somedays I wander in my attitude. Other days I wander in my faith. There are still other times I wander from the word of God choosing to fill my mind with thoughts propagated by this world system. 

I need my wandering heart to be bound to the God I love. No matter how much God has done for me, no matter how much grace I have received, no matter how many blessings I have received I still have wandering feet and a wandering heart. There are moments when my flesh wins the battle. Jesus has already won the war but, there are moments when I do not embrace that victory. 

Why would I ever leave the God I love. I am not saying I leave wholeheartedly. It would appear even one step away from Him is a step toward leaving the God I love. I do love God. Could I love Him more? Of course. Can't we all. I love to meet with Him. I love to hear from Him. I love serving Him, pointing others to Him, testifying for Him, and writing for Him. I know the truth about me. There are times when I do wander.  Maybe it is undetectable to others but it is detected by me and God. 

I want God to take my heart and seal it for Him. I want Him to press my heart closer to Him. I want Him to protect me from wandering. 

I love that old hymn. Those words pierced my heart as I sang them. I had to wipe the tears from beneath my glasses. I don't want to be a wanderer. I want to be a worshipers. I do not want to stray. I want to serve Jesus with all that is in me. I do not want to leave my Lord. I want to daily draw nearer to Him. 

I am thankful for that old hymn. I am thankful for whatever inspired the hymn writer, Robert Robinson. to pen those words. He was only 22 years old when he wrote those words back in 1757. What prompted him to write such powerful lyrics. How could he ever know that hundreds of years later God would use those words to penetrate my wandering heart and bind my wandering feet. God, thank you for pastor Robert Robinson and the lyrics he wrote that are so near and dear to my wandering heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment