Thursday, September 1, 2016

God Got All Of Him

William Booth was a zealous soulwinner, a bold preacher, and a compassionate servant to the poor and destitute. He and his wife Cathryn founded the Salvation Army. God used them both mightily.

William was once asked the secret to his being used so powerfully by God. Here is what he said. "When I was fifteen God got all of William Booth." Later his daughter Eva elaborated on this point. She said the true secret was that Booth never took his life back from God.

How much of you does God have? This is a question I presented to our students this past Wednesday night. I challenged them to get on the floor face down and surrender all of their live sto God. When I asked them reasons why they would not want to do that one girl said the loss of control over her life. A guy said fear of God calling him to somewhere like China. Another said there are so many distractions. There are a lot of excuses but are any of them valid.

When we needed a Savior Jesus did not hold back. He gave everything down to his last breath. He demands and deserves all of Matt Edwards there is. He demands and deserves all of you there is.

The average life span for a person in the United States is 79. If I live that long I have three decades left. I want God to have all of me for those thirty years. It is does not matter what He demands, where He leads, or what He requires me to sacrifice. That all pales in comparison to what He gave for my salvation and what He has prepared for me in eternity.

How many years do you estimate you have left? How much of you does God have? Some content themselves to give a fraction or half. God wants all of you. Your mind. Your heart. Your hands and feet. Your passion. Your money. Your dreams and ambitions. Your all for Him always.

I read that statement about William Booth this week. It bit into my soul. I have not been able to shake it. I want to be able to say at 49 and all the remaining days that God got all of Matt Edwards. Will you  make the same surrender?

No comments:

Post a Comment