Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Day God Made His Word Come Alive For This Weary Preacher

For three consecutive nights I did not get home until midnight or just before midnight. This Sunday morning I wore weariness like a heavy winter overcoat. To be truthful, I felt too tired to preach or at least, to preach effectively. I did not feel any passion for the passage nor had the message lit a fire in my heart.

I got up early to pray. Dutifully I coked the boys breakfast and dressed for what I did not feel would be success. We had poor attendance this morning. I stood in the back praying and feeling like the whole service would be a flop.

I studied for the message last Wednesday while in Louisiana. Due to the busy schedule I did not look over the notes but once. When it came time to preach I walked up the steps to the pulpit praying for God to move in me. What happened next is nothing short of a miracle in my book.

I actually walked down off the stage and away from my notes. I stood on the floor and God did what He has done thousands of other times in my life. He came and infused me with fresh passion, energy, insight, and anointing to do the most sacred work of preaching. [Phil 1:27-30] came alive in my heart even more so than when I studied last Wednesday.

Brenda told me she saw people sitting on the edge of their seats, others smiled nodding their head in agreement with God's truth, and a few offered hearty "amens". The weighty presence of the Lord flooded the atmosphere of that old warehouse we meet in for worship.

In hindsight, I sit here amazed. God did it again. God made His word came alive in this weary preacher. God revealed truth to His people. God met with a few worshippers. God moved us closer to His heart. All on a day when I had nothing to offer or contribute to a successful service.  Truth is I have never had anything to contribute even on my best day. It has always been God and His grace to use this human vessel. It is humbling that God chooses to use such a flawed vessel as me. I sure thank Him for doing so .I delight to think I will get to do it all over again should the Lord allow me to live to see next Wednesday and next Sunday. May God keep making His word come alive to this preacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment