Saturday, September 10, 2016

Only For Jesus

Like many times before I packed a suitcase this morning.  I am heading to Hammond, LA to preach a revival for my friend Jeff. I have not preached a true to life revival in three years.

We made the trip to DFW airport. I said a quick goodbye to Brenda, Tucker, and Turner. I scurried in the airport trying to get my bearings. I have not flown in about six years.
I needed help at the Kiosk. I got pulled to the side during security because I forgot to put my wallet through the metal detector. The NSA agent nearly pulled my pants off patting me down. I thought to myself, "I would only do this for Jesus."

If I never traveled anywhere other than to do ministry that would suit me fine. If I never had to say goodbye to my family for multiple nights that would be fine with me. If I never got on another airplane or navigated another airport the rest of my life I could live with that. Yet the call of Jesus on my life to preach trumps all of that.

The call of God to invite sinners to repentance and salvation in Jesus is worth any hassle. The passionate longing to see churches revived still grips my soul. The desire to build God's kingdom is what I live for whether that be through praying, preaching, personal evangelism, or writing.

So here I am. Sitting at gate 28 preparing to board American Airlines flight 1300 bound for New Orleans. I anticipate what God will do. For weeks my prayers for FBC Hammond have been asking God what He wants to do and what He wants to say. I yearn to see fresh moves of our Father.

I think back on past revivals I have preached in Tyler, Lufkin, Lake Charles, Diboll, Odessa, and of course the 23 day revival in Seminole. I am humbled by the opportunity to preach another revival. I welcome the chance to see God move in fresh ways. I go into every revival not knowing when or where the Holy Spirit will be unleashed ushering in days of refreshing. Those things excite me as I anticipate what God might do.

So it is worth leaving Brenda and the boys behind. It is worth living out of a suitcase for a few days. It is worth sleeping in a strange bed and meeting new people. It is worth dealing with airport security. It is worth all of it.

It is even worth th day to day challenges any child of God encounters and endures. It is worth tenaciously reading the scriptures and clinging to faith. It is worth preaching my heart out week after week. It is worth the criticisms. It is worth the rejection. It is worth the empty altars. It is worth the financial trials. Jesus makes all of those things and more worth it.

May I adopt Paul's passion. Acts 20:23-24 (NASB) 
23  except that the Holy Spirit solemnly testifies to me in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions await me.
24  "But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment