Sunday, August 7, 2016

You Are Turning Me Away?

She met me this morning as our service concluded. She is a passionate, devoted, and committed follower of Jesus. She is a college student visiting. She told me an unbelievable story about a recent visit to well known mega church.

She made reservations to attend their new member's class months ago. She ran ten minutes late to the meeting. When she arrive at the check in point she was refused entry to the class. The lady at the check in station said the class was full. When a co-worker told the lady there were still empty seats the lady told him they could not break the fire code.

The young college student asked, "Are you really turning me away?" She learned that five others had bene turned away before her. This young lady is exactly the kind of member churches should want. She is not just an attender. She is a worker.

She went on to tell me how on Sundays people reserve seats like at a concert. All the religious mentality of this church struck her. Some will be quick to defend her getting turned away to obey fire code.

I contrast that mentality with a story from the famed life of D.L. Moody. He preached in a small wooden church and people came from all over to hear him. The crowds jammed in the tiny sanctuary like sardines. People even stood outside listening through open windows. Suddenly Moody noticed the exterior walls buckling from the pressure of so many people inside. He calmly directed the people outside. He concluded his sermon preaching from the front porch.

He did not turn people away. Has the mentality in mega churches turned so drastically that people are being turned away. Spiritually hungry people. May that not be the case.

I will not soon forget what that young girl said to me in the end. She commented how this is a church the religious world raves about. Yet all she felt was a religious spirit. She experienced a whole other side of it. Her experience was not positive and I doubt she will return there. I wonder if Jesus is pleased with such churches.

Yet who am I to cast stones. I wonder if Jesus is pleased with the church I serve as pastor.

No comments:

Post a Comment