Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Guided By The Unseen Hand

Life is filled with choices, crossroads, intersections, and decisions. How does one navigate through the maze of life. It is easy to make the wrong choice, the wrong turn, and to pursue the wrong direction. How do we stay on the right path. How do we know which way to go when facing multiple options. How do we know, as children of God, what God wants.

I have walked with Abba Father for over three decades. As I look back at all the twists and turns in life I can say with certainty I have been guided by  an unseen hand. I have not always made the right decisions. I have not always turned in the right direction at every crossroad but God has pulled me in the right direction.

For instance, when I neared graduation in high school I did not have a clue where I wanted to go to college. All I knew was I wanted to keep playing football and at the time I wanted to major in journalism. My youth minister sent my game highlights to Howard Payne University and scheduled me for a visit on the campus and wit the head coach. I had never heard of the school.

Brownwood, TX  is a long away from Lufkin, TX. Nearly 300 miles.  I did not know what to expect when I arrived on the campus. They took me on a campus tour. It did not take long because Howard Payne is not a large campus. Enrollment back then was around 700 students. I met with the head football coach. After some discussions Coach Hicks offered me a football scholarship and my course was set.

What I did not know is the guidance of the unseen hand of God. For three months after my visit to Howard Payne my life changed. God called me to preach. I did not connect the dots until I was officially on campus standing in line at registration. I heard two guys talking in front of me about bring Bible majors at Howard Payne. I put two and two together and deducted since I was called to preach I needed to forget about being a journalism major and major in Bible.

What I also did not know at the time is that two years later God would lead a brown eyes brunette beauty to transfer to Howard Payne for her last two years of college. That beauty has been my wife for the past twenty five years.

We do not always know what God is up to. We can't always connect the dots. We can't clearly discern the distant future. What we can do is trust the unseen hand of God to guide us and to orchestrate things we could never anticipate.

An added benefit of my time at Howard Payne is getting to meet dear friends like Eric Adcock, Jase Waller, Kyle and Angela Horton, Bart and Hope Howell, Julie Carter, and many others. It is very interesting how God has used many of these people to direct my path along the past couple of decades.

Maybe today you sit confused. Maybe you have lost your way. Or perhaps you are at a dead end and do not  knowwhat to do. Trust the unseen hand of God to guide you and to make a way for you even when there seems to be no way of escape. I bless God for guiding me all these years with His sovereign unseen hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment