Sunday, September 21, 2014

We Need A Simple And A Pure Church

I bless God for creating the church. Church has played a major role in my life for the past three decades. I owe a debt of gratitude to the great people at Denman Avenue Baptist Church back in Lufkin, TX I can never repay. Eli Bernard firsr clearly shared the gospel message with me one on one as the youth minister of that church. God used his influence to steer me to go to Howard Payne University where I met Brenda and now have a son attending school there. God used Charles Roberts to disciple me and give me ministry opportunities. God used Kevin Roy and Keith Nash to encourage me in the tough times. God used many of the members to partner with me in furthering my education as well as ministry ventures.

Denman Avenue is still my home church but over the years we have served some other wonderful churches. We have fallen in love with some wonderful people all over the state of Texas. Those people are like family to us. They know who they are.

Yet this morning, as I contemplate the church, I am reminded of how simple the church was in the book of Acts. No buildings. No budgets. No programs to prop up with money and volunteers. A simple group of ordinary men proclaiming the simple but powerfully life changing message that Jesus saves!

We make church complicated. It has become a complex corporate structure often big on the business end short on the ministry end sometimes. People often attend worship services with other people they do not like,.They listen to a preacher they cannot stand. They refuse to sing songs they despise. Sadly and resolutely they refuse to give their time or financial treasure to support the ministry of the church in anyway.

These same people often manipulate others to gain control in power moves. What exactly they hope to control is beyond me. Usually it has to do with buildings and the money. Those two things have never meant that much to me. I mean we worship in a rented warehouse. Nothing to get all worked up over there.Who wants to control a drafty and dusty warehouse. I thank God for His provision to get paid and we as a church have a place to meet. We don't have much money so there is no need to try and control what we do not have.

Brenda and I were driving home from Brownwood last night after going to Taylor's football game. We drove alone, as the other three boys, had commitments that kept them from going with us. We were talking about church when she commented, "I love our church. It is so simple and pure."

Many churches started out that way. Faith Community Church is only three years old. It is pretty easy to keep it simple. Over time other churches that started out simply became entangled in a maze of power structures, multiple committees, and in many churches a committee to appoint people that serve on the other committees. Rules and regulations keep everyone on edge as every "t" has to be crossed and every "i" has to be dotted. The whole thing can be cumbersome at best and ineffective at worst.

Today, I am grateful for a simple church. I am grateful for a small group of believers that will gather later this morning with love for one another. I am grateful for a unified church. Nobody fusses and fights with one another. I am grateful for the freedom to shout, clap, raise my hands, sit down, or kneel in worship if I choose without fear of offending someone. Today, I am thankful that when I stand to preach I will not be on the clock. There are no time restraints. Today, I am thankful that Jesus Christ is the Head of our church and there is no need for power struggles. He is the leader and we all submit to Him. I am grateful that I do not have to endure worship wars over what songs will be sung. We can sing a new song or one written 300 years ago and nobody will complain or sulk. We just sing. I am thankful for the simpleness of the order of the service. We will worship in song, giving, and studying His word. I will stand behind a simple homemade pulpit built by two men in our church before my family came back. That simple pulpit, built with loving hands, has served us well over the past there years studying through books like Mark, Haggai, James, I Thessalonians, and now the book of Acts verse by verse.

Normally some of us will fellowship over a meal afterward. I am grateful that long after the service ends today people with cloister in little groups hugging, talking, and laughing afterwards. I am grateful when I see them gathered together at ball games in the stands. These people do more than go to church together. They share life together. Like the lady I talked to delivering a meal to a family battling a terminal illness. Like the other lady I noticed in the stands ministering to a recent widow because she lost her husband a few years ago before remarrying.

I am thankful for how God has sustained His church over the years. Even when the church has grown complicated God has not abandoned her. Whether you worship in a multi million dollar state of the art worship facility, an older warm sanctuary holding many sentimental feelings, or a rented temporary facility I plead that you will not take your church for granted. Your church is not the buildings but the people. Church is a gift from God. Through your church I pray things will be simplified today in your heart to the point you can have a meaningful encounter with God. Sing with gusto. Listen to the sermon attentively. Walk slowly through the congregation expressing love and offering ministry where needed. Look for those that might need a loving word of encouragement. Make things simple today. Do not get distracted with church business so you miss out on encountering the God who called us to the business of loving Him first and loving others. Don't hold grudges today. Release them to the Lord and live in freedom again. Don't fight over the music. Listen to the words and offer them as a praise offering to God. Give your tithes and offerings joyfully and not begrudgingly today. Choose to make church simple and pure in your heart once again. [Acts 2:42-47]

No comments:

Post a Comment