Sunday, September 14, 2014

My Friend

31 years ago I met a friend who's impact on my life has been immeasurable. He befriended me at a time when I suffered from poor self esteem. I was not an easy person to love. Because of suffering many abuses I lived sullen, angry, and pushed people away.
My friend loved me anyway. He was always there when I needed to vent. When the pressures of keeping up grades in high school, performing on the football field, and trying to choose a college overwhelmed me he would often give me sound advice.
Because he accepted me a whole other social circle opened to me. People who had never spoken to me before suddenly accepted me all because of my friend. We hung out together and often they invited me into their homes. Nicer homes than I had ever been in before.
My friend is Jesus Christ. He changed my life. When I met Him 31 years ago I told my family and friends about HIm. Most of them rejected Jesus. Some still do to this day. In two hours I will once again tell people about Jesus as I have bee doing since I fist met Him over three decades ago when I stand up to preach from Acts 4:1-29..
He is my first love. He is my passion. He is my Lord. Jesus is my Master. By His shed blood on the cross I am redeemed, saved, and a brand new creation. Therefore, I boast in Jesus.
A creed did not save me. A denomination did not redeem me. My beloved home church, Denman Avenue Baptist Church, did not rescue me from my sin. ONLY JESUS COULD DO THAT. ALL TO HIM I OWE. ALL TO HIM I SURRENDER. NO OTHER NAME DO I OFFER MY ALLEGIANCE.

No comments:

Post a Comment