Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Youth Ministry

I watched God move in the hearts of students this past weekend from Fairfield Baptist Church in Cypress, TX. I rejoice that God saved two of them. I saw God break down big football players and wrestlers in tears. I saw broken relationships mended. I saw authentic worship. I watched God heal broken hearts. I saw the Lord lift burdens from the oppressed heavier than have to deal with daily. I felt the presence of God.

I don't know how many such events I have preached over the years. Probably over a 100. This one was refreshing. Yes the students had fun. When we gathered for worship we got down to business though. Worship and the word of God were the reasons we even there in the first place. There was not any cookies and punch as we talked about the word of God. Straight Bible truth interlaced with a few stories to keep their attention. Jesus Christ, the Alpha and Omega were the focal points. WeI watched God work through his word to soften hearts, to open spiritually blinded eyes to the hope of salvation, and to call people to repentance.

There is a move out among some believers saying youth ministry is not biblical. Neither are cushioned pews. Tell that to the young man I spoke to on Sunday night on the back porch about how to be saved. God convicted him of his need for salvation. He responded in faith because God's word revealed his need. Go ahead and tell him that just because he heard the gospel in the context of other students that it is not sufficient. Go ahead and tell him that he should have done that in the context of the local church. You go ahead and say what you want to say about youth ministry being unbiblical. While you sit on your high horse I will telling young men like him about Jesus and how to be saved. That is biblical. Tell those students who poured their hearts out in authentic worship they need to do that in big church. I saw more worship this weekend than I have seen in dozens of churches on Sunday morning. Those students are too busy getting lost in God's presence singing his praises to listen to you say that youth ministry is not biblical.

God used a youth minister to spread the gospel to me back on 1983. He did not mince words and that salvation has stuck thirty years later . God used a youth minister to disciple me. He invested his time and life into me. He helped me get a football scholarship. He drove me to college as I reported for two a days. I had no father. He loved me like a son. God called me to preach at a youth camp. Youth ministry is not irrelevant to me. I am a product of youth ministry working balanced with the rest of the church congregation.

I will take preaching at a youth camp to students who are open to God moving over preaching revival to dead churches with hard hearts no matter how large the offerings to me are.

Students are dealing with more issues, more sin, more temptation, and more negative influences than ever. I praise God for the student minister who invests his life and time in students like I saw this past weekend. I don't know how long God will allow me to continue to minister to students but I am thankful for those opportunities. I am thankful for God's deep work in the hearts of those students from Cypress.

No comments:

Post a Comment