Sunday, January 19, 2014

A Word of Encouragement



A Word of Encouragement
Everybody needs some encouragement from time to time. Everybody needs a shot in the arm spiritually and emotionally. We never know how a timely word to encourage someone can inspire a troubled soul to keep going. An encouraging word can help someone to overcome and conquer.

A little over a year ago I was getting ready for a one hundred mile bike ride. Nobody rode with me that day and I was extremely nervous that I would not be able to finish. Early that morning before I saddled up on the bike I received a text message from my oldest son Taylor. It was a simple message. "Dad, you got this. You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength." As I rode into cross winds and head winds of west Texas hour after hour I replayed that message over and over in my head. When the battery in my ipod went dead I replayed that message pushing through the desire to take the path of least resistance. My back ached. My legs burned. My behind could not find a comfortable position on the seat. I prayed and prayed for strength. I also remembered those encouraging words from my son.

Normally I am the one encouraging him at a football game, in a powerlifting meet, or track meet. I usually am the one giving him encouragement in a workout but on that day God used his few words to inspire me to keep pedaling. I pedaled for nine hours. With God's help and the encouraging words from my son I made it.

This morning, while preaching from [Phil 2:1-4] about encouraging our brothers and sisters in Christ, I told the story about Taylor's text. I had not planned to add that story. My voice cracked as I talked about it and tears formed in my eyes. The impact of those few words still move me to this day.

That was just one text message. Fourteen words. It took less than five seconds to read. Those words stuck like velcro to my mind and soul. Fourteen months later I still feel the weight of their impact. His words remind me that not only could I get through that bike ride but I can also get through the other hard things in life.

Why do we not take the time or make the effort to encourage people. Many people are living nightmare lives. A timely word of encouragement might be just the emotional food needed to get them through a tough day. An uplifting text might be just the medicine needed to heal an ailing soul. God uses words of encouragement in ways we may never know.

So the point today is to find someone and speak, write, or text a word of encouragement. We may never know the full weight of the impact but that should not matter. It should only matter that God directs our steps and makes us aware of those discouraged and broken around us. We can use our words to wound and to heal. May our words bring healing through encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment