Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Prayer for the Chronically Sick

Father,

I lift up those who suffer from chronic illness and pain today. I plead with you to help them to endure the nights of never ending pain and the days of prolonged suffering. I lift up those who never have a good day physically. They ache, they moan, and they weep silent tears nobody but you can understand. I ask you to help them in this the day of their trouble. [Ps 50:15] I pray they would not lose heart in their battles. [Gal 6:9]

We do not understand why you choose to heal some and allow others to suffer. Please do not let this fact destroy our faith. Your thoughts and your ways are different than ours. [Is 55:8-9] I ask you to become so real to those suffering it produces a lasting joy deeper than their pain. [Ps 16:11] I ask you to comfort those enduring private nightmares that do not end. I ask you to be the source of peace, security, and hope in situations that look so insecure and hopeless.

I ask you to protect their minds. Please protect them from destructive and dark thoughts. I pray you would help them take every thought captive obedient to Christ. [II Cor 10:5] Father, please help them to set their minds on the truth of your word. I ask you to give them the desire to choose to meditate on your truth night and day. [Ps 119:15-16] I ask you to revive those enduring hardships according to your word that produces reverence for you. [Ps 119:37-38] I pray they would not grow bitter and angry at you. Instead I pray your word would produce strength to endure, hope to press on, and comfort during the hard times. I ask you to be their hiding place where they can find refuge from the pain and the despair. [Ps 119:114.] You are a refuge for the broken in body. You are a shelter, strength, and you are always present on the toughest days and the longest nights of agony. [Ps 46:1]

We know from experience some of those who served you most faithfully were never healed this side of heaven. Yet they endured in the faith. I thank you for the examples of David Brainerd, Amy Carmichael, Bill Bright, and Joni Erickson Tada. They all suffered or are still suffering but they never gave up on you. They served or are still serving you today. I pray you inspire the people who live in chronic pain to keep enduring. We know that one day their relief is coming. We thank you for the gift of healing and know you still do that. We also thank you for the gift of salvation and that in eternity all will be healed. In Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment