Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Still Small Voice of God

I drove to east Texas this week to spend a few days at "the prayer cabin." I did not even take my computer. My desire was to spend extended time in prayer and to get a fresh word from God. I spent time with the Lord sitting on a back porch overlooking the lake. My great prayer was to ask Him to speak to me. I spent time prostrate with my face buried in the carpet asking God to speak to me. I went for a long slow walk through the pasture asking God to speak. I sat before Him in the living room with the same request.

Time became irrelevant. I did not mind lingering in His presence. Life there is unhurried. My only agenda at "the prayer cabin" is to seek God. That has always been the case for the past eighteen years, even though there have been times when I write while there. Writing was not on my mind this time around.

My time was spent in prayer, scripture reading, and reading one other religious book wanting to hear God speak. As my last night rolled around I had peace that I had sought the Lord but He had chosen not to speak anything fresh to me even though that morning I had read I Kings 19 and Elijah hearing the still small voice of God. I can do is hunger for God. He speaks on His timetable not mine.

I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open and went to bed around 8:00 p.m. I knew the Lord would awake me for early prayer. Sure enough I woke up at 1:00 a.m. I had a great season of prayer interceding for those God brought to mind and heart. After awhile I went back to bed but even with my head on the pillow I continued to ask God to speak. I continued in this state of prayer drifting in and out of sleep for the next forty minutes.

Suddenly I had two dreams back to back. There was no break in between them. They were vivid in detail and as soon as they ended that still small voice of God began to speak. It was so real I got up groggily and went into the living room where I could write down what the Lord spoke. I will spare  you the details other than to say God drew me to [Jer 1:5-10]. It felt like a personal message.

I do not know how long that time lasted. I only know the presence of the Lord was real to me and His still small voice penetrated my thoughts and feelings. I read those scriptures over and over again. I recorded the two dreams both involving ministry. One dream pointed me toward evangelism and the other dream toward Faith Community Church and revival.

Those moments with the Lord were worth the financial sacrifice to make the trip. It was worth the sacrifice of leaving Brenda and the boys. It was worth the hours spent in prayer with only silence in return. It was worth the lack of sleep. When the Lord finally did speak to me I had only two hours to spare before leaving to come back home. God is my witness I sought for Him with all my heart and He allowed me to find Him and to hear from Him.

I told Brenda it was one of the best prayer retreats I have even taken simply because I heard the still small voice of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment