Friday, November 1, 2013

God Knows


Are you running around feverishly trying to appear more holy and Christlike than you really are. Do you rush about frantically trying to cover your tracks of sin and disobedience. David did.

He lusted. He went further and acted on that lust. Then he tried to cover his tracks. He had Uriah, Bathsheeba's husband, return from battle hoping that he would return home and enjoy a night of pleasure with his wife. Uriah was more devoted to the cause of God and his fellow soldiers than to his fleshly appetites. He refused to go into his wife.

David went further to cover his tracks. He set Uriah up to be put in the fiercest part of the battle where he would most certainly die. Nobody would ever know about his one night stand with Bathsheeba and that she was pregnant with David's child.

Sure enough Uriah was killed. David let Bathsheeba mourn and then married her. When the child was born nobody thought the worst. NOBODY BUT GOD.

"When the time of mourning ended, David had her brought to his house. She became his wife and bore him a son. However, the Lord considered what David had done to be evil." [II Sam 11:27]

GOD KNOWS. HE SEES EVERYTHING. NO sin is hidden from His sight. We may sit in church and be filled with so much wickedness we hinder the move of God for the rest of the church. We may have become so comfortable and casual in our sin we no longer mourn or are broken over it. We no more than get a prayer of repentance out of our mouths and we are already making plans to sin again.

GOD KNOWS. HE SEES. HE WILL HOLD US ACCOUNTABLE. O dear God how we need a cleansing and a time of repentance. Where is repentance in our private devotions. I sinned last night. It breaks my heart this morning as God convicted me.

Turner played football at Tucker's game with some friends. He got mud on his school clothes and new shoes. When I walked up he nervously told me about it. I was not happy. Then I overheard him telling Brenda that it happened because we did not take him home before the game to change clothes. He tried to blame us. I grabbed him by the back of his neck and gave him a royal scolding.

Later that night at home I was convicted at the harshness of how I treated him for something that did not really matter in the big scheme of things. God never treats me that way when I sin. I repented. I sat Turner in my lap and apologized for my sin as tears rolled down his cheeks. My heart broke in that moment as I realized I had wounded my son. I pulled his head to my chest and held him close asking for his forgiveness. I hate the sin in my life that creeps up. Praise God he forgave me and worked this to his advantage asking me to bring him lunch today.

How much sin resides in us and in the church we try to cover up. We dress up the outside hoping nobody can truly see the inside. GOD SEES and that fact alone should bring fear and the sobering truth we must repent. O for a clean life and a clean church. O dear God for a cleansing in your church today as through repentance we flush sin down the toilet like refuse.

O God, You see and You know the truth. May we no longer try to hide our tracks but come clean before you. May all the evil in our hearts and minds be cleansed. May you make us holy vessels to be of use in Your hands. May we stand before you righteous and cleansed by the blood of Jesus with nothing to hide. In Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment