Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Higher Purpose

I sat down to finish the last few chapters of the book of Job this morning. Few have ever suffered like Job suffered. He held fast his integrity but at one point he did curse the day he was born and thought it would be better if he had never seen the light of the day. Who can blame him?

Not only did he grieve the loss of a child but the loss of all his children on the same day. On top of that he had to deal with losing his possessions and loyal workers. In a few moments Job lost everything but his wife and health. Not long afterward he lost his health. Yet the Bible is clear that Job did not sin.

He hurt. He felt like God's target of fury. Job knew he had not sinned though others continually made accusations. Job could not understand. Job's purpose was to find relief from the suffering and sorrow. God's purposes were higher.

In the last few chapters of Job God gives a stinging rebuke about His sovereignty. When the Lord finished talking hear what Job said in response in Job 42:2. "I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted."

What I often find is that God's purposes and mine are not the same. My purposes include a blessed life, a life of few trials and smooth sailing. I want a life with few trials and fewer hardships. God has a higher purpose. God's ultimate purpose in the universe is to bring more glory to Himself. Sometimes the best way for Him to get glory is when we suffer. I know you don't like reading that anymore than I enjoy writing it but it is true.

God often uses the backdrop of suffering to paint portraits of His power and faithfulness. If God's ultimate purpose is for me to glorify Him by being stretched through hardships that demonstrate how faithful and strong God is then I have to submit to His purpose over mine.

Brenda and I are so humbled over the past twenty-one years we have been married at how often God has used people (common ordinary people) to support us financially. We committed ourselves to living by faith and to obey God no matter where it led or what it cost. It has led to some uncomfortable places and believe me when I say it has cost us plenty. We do not have the luxury of living like many people get to. Yet, I write honestly God is my Provider! He always comes through. I trust Him. He gets the glory for my leaving Seminole totally on faith and a year and a half later I stand to shout God is faithful! He has not abandoned the Edwards family. He has come through over and over again.

When I testify about that guess who gets the glory. It is not Brenda and me. We have often been reduced to needy children crying out to our Heavenly Father for help and rescue in times of trouble. He has come through over and over again. He gets the glory and that is the higher purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment