Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Midweek Refreshing

As we near the end of Wednesday I am in need spiritual refreshing. I am in need of meeting with the people of God to chew on the word of God. Even though tonight I will be teaching, I am always refreshed by the discussion of others who attend. I love chewing on the word of God.

At Faith Community our midweek service has no frills. All we do is dig into the word. For this season we are working our way through the book of I Timothy verse by verse. Studying like this reminds me of eating a hardy meal and sitting back in contentment afterwards. There should be a hunger in the hearts of all of God's followers for the word of God but sadly this is not always the case.

In all my years of teaching and preaching I have found the Wednesday night service to be the smallest by far. Over the years I have enjoyed these times of teaching more than Sunday mornings. People who typically show up for a mid-week service are pretty serious about their faith and want to grow. This can  lead to some serious study.

A few years ago at a different church we spent over two years studying the book of Acts. We never had more than a couple of dozen people show up but that did not deter us from having a good time. Following that study we studied the book of Revelation. Though people seemed to enjoy that study I found that to be one of the most challenging to teach on a personal level. In a different church I taught studies on the lives of Noah, Abraham and Joseph. I also taught through the book of I Corinthians and I John. Those were good times. Though the crowds were never large the hunger for God's word among those who did show up more than made up for the small attendance.

I hope and pray you are a serious student of the word of God. I hope you crave more teaching and study. Now we are not just supposed to be hearers of the word. James instructs us to be doers of all those things we are learning.

In the middle of this hectic week I encourage you to take some time out of your schedule to go to your local church and get into a serious study of the word of God. If your church does not offer that you can do a systematic study of a book of the Bible on your own.

Let your soul get refreshed as you take a dip into the oasis of God's word. Let it wash over you. Let the nourishment of God's word strengthen you to get through the rest of your week. These are exciting opportunities. I look forward to feasting on the honey of scripture tonight. It will be refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment