Thursday, August 16, 2012

Courage to be Uncommon

The word "uncommon" can be defined as unusual, rare, and exceptional. Last night after our youth service I went around to students one on one challenging them to have the courage to be uncommon in the way they live. I challenged them in essence to live lives of unusual, rare and exceptional character and behavior.

It is easier to blend in and to go along with the masses in order to fit in. I have never cared much for fitting in. I have wanted to blaze my own trails and to live an  uncommon life. Though I cannot say I have ever accomplished anything exceptional, I can say I do feel I have an uncommon devotion to the Lord. I love Him and I seek Him. I do think God has given me an uncommon faith to believe Him for exceptional things.

It takes courage to live an uncommon life. The easier path is to live a common life. To live within the familiar and acceptable patterns of the day is the path of least resistance. When you determine to live an uncommon life you are inviting hardships. Hear this clearly. If you choose to live an uncommon life of devotion and service to Christ you will suffer persecution on some level. Depending on where you live may determine the severity of the persecution.

I live in the Bible belt and the extent of my persecution may just be getting gossiped about. There are parts of the world where living an uncommon life could mean imprisonment at best and a martyr's death at worst. Yet, followers of Christ willingly pay the price with lives of distinction. They refuse to give into the pressures they face to conform. They have chosen the uncommon life and sadly many of these dedicated disciples pay a high price for it. Go online and check out www.voiceofthemartyrs.com to read some of their courageous but horrific stories.

What I have on my mind today is not calling people to die as martyrs, at least not in Paradise, TX. I am calling people to love others in an uncommon way. I am calling the church to willingly love people others bypass and neglect. I am calling Christians to quit judging and to extend the love of Jesus Christ to all kinds of people. The popular and unpopular. The rich and the poor. All the different races. The squeaky clean as well as the down and dirty. All need the love and grace of Jesus Christ. It will take someone living and uncommon life to welcome all these people into their lives and the church.

Living an uncommon life will mean standing firm for convictions when others cast them aside conveniently to go along with the crowds. It takes courage to stand for what you believe. You may even find yourself standing alone. That is uncommon. It is rare to find students or adults who will stand firm when the heat is turned on. When everybody else bowed down to the golden image at the sound of the music three Hebrew boys refused to bow. They stood out like a sore thumb. They were called to suffer for it. You can read their story in Daniel 3. They refused to be intimidated and refused to compromise the law of God. Even though they were sentenced to be burned in a fiery furnace, God did not forsake them.

Their stand for truth and miraculous deliverance moved the heart of the king. Where is that kind of courage among the cheerleaders and on the football and volleyball teams? Where is that uncommon courage on the school boards, in the hall ways, in the office, out in the oil fields, and in homes.

Hypocrisy abounds in the church as people pretend to follow God one day and then follow the crowd the next. Faithful church members refuse the courage to follow God in an uncommon way. I will testify to follow God in an uncommon way is costly. It is still the right way, the biblical way.

I am calling all senior adults to live an uncommon life. Don't live out your last days grumpy and griping about everything. Refuse to be a part of the gossip in your church and community. Live an uncommon life with a sweet spirit and deep devotion to the Lord. I am challenging adults to live uncommon in the use of your time and resources. Seek first the kingdom of God and trust God will bring all the rest to you as you have need. Guard your time and do not throw it way in the same common ways your peers do. I am challenging college students to live an uncommon life in your morale standards and do not compromise them for anyone. I am challenging high school and junior high students to live uncommon lives on their campuses. I am challenging you to love the unlovable and to accept those others reject. I am challenging you to be bold in your witness for Christ as you speak of Him unashamedly in the classrooms, locker rooms and at your lunch table.

It is time to summon courage from God to live in an uncommon way. We were meant to live lives of rare distinction, set apart, and honoring to God. I am not saying it will be easy. I am saying it will be worth it. Lord, we ask for the courage to live and serve you in an uncommon way.

No comments:

Post a Comment