Friday, June 29, 2012

The Glorious Pursuit - Day Twenty-Four

I want to be a part of a revolution in Paradise and Wise County. Many have gone before us to seek a similar revolution. They have done it politically, Some have strategically battled to start revolutions in the way the schools operated. Some of have done so in the way the city runs. Some have started worthy causes and given effort to those to make a change.

My interest in revolution consists primarily of seeing a spiritual revolution where many are saved and give themselves to further the revolution for Jesus Christ. In the book of Acts a bunch of scared and disillusioned followers of Christ were transformed when they were filled with the Holy Spirit. They boldly prayed and boldly proclaimed Jesus Christ. They were mistreated and suffered for serving Jesus with their blood and some with their very own lives. They did not give in. They did not turn from the pursuit of seeing God revolutionize their communities.

The heat was turned up. They were arrested. They were threatened. They were beaten. Still the revolution continued. 3,000 saved on one day. 5,000 saved on another day. A dozen saved here. A few hundred were saved there. The revolution continued.

The power of Jesus Christ to transform a community in unlimited. Those early followers of Jesus gave themselves to two things that made all the difference. They prayed. They proclaimed Jesus Christ as the only way of salvation. Prayer and Evangelism. They had no buildings. With no fancy programs they changed the world. They had something churches today cannot buy. They had the power of God on full display in what they did.

Today we program rather than pray. We strategize rather than soul win. We will do almost anything in the church rather than the two things that launched a revolution in the book of Acts. We make excuses for not praying. Lately God has called me to a deeper level of prayer than I have even known. I have hungered for that kind of praying. I have hungered for the presence of God in my life like never before. It does not stop there.

God has called me to a deeper level of intercession especially for the lost. I have a list of eight people I bring before the Lord daily to save. While at camp I committed to agree with our students to pray for anyone they would give me the names for. My list went from eight to over twenty. I plead with God to convict of sin and to draw to the Savior. I ask God to nip at the souls of the lost like a hound dog after prey. I ask the Lord to break down pride until hearts are ground to powder. When a whole church and a whole community of churches begin to pray like that revolution will come.

When the church begins to pray the members will become bold in their witness. We will live with a burden for the lost to be saved. We will live with the weight of eternity hanging in the balance for many. We will never be satisfied filling up our churches with people who are already saved. We will want to see new people saved and for the revolution to continue not only in our communities but all over the world.

Some say this is all day dreaming. I have been seeking God for a revolution where we have lived for the past thirteen years. It is not easy. At times I feel alone. So many people are apathetic in their love and zeal for God. I have watched as people give their best energies and effort to lesser things. I want to give my life to the revolution of watching Jesus Christ change lives, families, churches, communities, counties and whole coutries. I want to labor to that end until my last breath. No giving up and no turning back.

Why do we not pray more at church. We can't even get two dozen people to come to our Sunday night prayer meetings. I guess people think prayer meetings are not important. I see them as vitally necessary.  We are losing the war. Everyday we are losing ground to a real enemy who seeks to steal, kill, and destroy. [Jn 10:10] He steals innocence and the souls of millions. Our adversary never gives up. He never relents. The church sleeps instead of pray like the disciples of Jesus in the garden.

How I pray God would call a church and group of churches to prayer like they have never known. I pray they will give themselves to pray for the lost, pray for revival, pray for the revolution. I want to give myself to prayer like never before. I want to work tirelessly to lead our church to pray. I want to be a catalyst for prayer wherever I go. So I renew myself to the task of seeking to increase my private prayer life as well as the private prayer lives of those around us. I want to labor with all my might to lead our church to pray together corporately. I know when we do this revolution will come at some point. God will step in and call people to the great work. of revival and revolution.

God alone can bring these things to pass. God alone can initiate a revolution. God alone can transform churches and communities. I long for that. I want to expend my days in the pursuit of more of God. Maybe I am day dreaming but I would rather go to my grave asking God for revolution rather than to settle for the status quo. This is the way to expend my days. I remain in pursuit of God and a revolution and invite you to do expend your days in pursuit of the same things.

No comments:

Post a Comment