Sunday, June 26, 2016

Youth Camp

We spent this past week on the campus of East Texas Baptist University for Mission 58 Camp. It is a camp with  built in missions projects daily. Students serve and sweat. They do not get entertained. They give their lives away.  Excitedly I watched our students get stretched and serve wholeheartedly. I also loved watching how our already close knit group got even closer.

I think I have attended at least one youth camp each summer for the past 32 years and some years more than one camp a summer. I have gone to camp as a student, a sponsor, a youth pastor, pastor, and as the camp preacher or teacher. I've seen camps in old cabins, tents, and on college campuses from Texas to Florida. I've met wonderful friends along the way but most importantly I've  met God.

I wish adults could carve out a week of their schedules for camp. What if adults kept having camps? We could get away from everything to pray, worship, and learn, We could encounter God. We could serve others. I  thank God for camp and the chances I have had over the years to attend.

It is always good to get back home and sleep in my own bed. God entrusted me to not only take a group to camp but to also teach His word to over 300 students. That is a sacred trust I cherish. I wish I could bring camp home for adults. Now that is an idea. Adult camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment