Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The Bride

Jesus loves His bride the church. They may come in different sizes and expressions. Some churches meet in homes with a few dozen people. They are structured simply and the fellowship is rich as well as the study of scriptures and worship. Other churches meet in wooden structures in the backwoods. Such houses of worship have stood for decades and families have attended services there. Some churches gather by the thousands for worship and study each week in elaborate multi million dollar facilities. The music fills the great houses with full sounds of musical instruments and thousands of voices singing in unison.

Some churches express themselves through traditional worship clinging to the old anthems of the faith found in hymns.  Others choose contemporary expressions through new songs with modern sounds and lyrics. Some use pianos and organs, some guitars and fiddles, other use orchestras and still others use bands. Some have choirs and some prefer praise teams or worship teams.

Which odes God prefer? I know we have our opinions. That does not matter. What does God prefer for His bride? Is He exclusive in His preference?

The Lord wants a pure bride without blemish. He wants a bride to love Him most.  He wants a bride that does not commit spiritual adultery. He wants a bride to remain loyal.

While we get so hung up on the trivial things in church that really don't matter, God wants His bride to remain faithful to the Bible and submit to His authority. He wants a mature bride growing in knowledge of Him through the scriptures.

Just like a man or woman finds love and joy in the arms of another person they pledge to marry so God finds love and joy in His bride. The bride  may look different to the outside world but in the eyes of the bridegroom He loves the bride. He is passionate for her.

I thank God for the different churches I have joined or served over the years. Each different. Each beautiful in her own way. Each adding valuable instruction to my life. I will always hold a special place in my heart for my home church Denman Avenue Baptist Church. There are few people left on staff there I know. I have not been back there in years but I thank God for using that church to disciple me in my formative teenage years. Brenda and I have served some wonderful flocks over the years and the relationships formed in those churches have been a blessing. I love the church and thank God for His bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment