Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Silver Anniversary

I know a couple celebrating their silver anniversary today.  Twenty five years is a long time. It is a little more than half as long as I have been alive.

This special couple met, fell in love, wedded and began their careers. Along the way they had some kids. Both pretty ordinary people sharing an extraordinary love. He makes her laugh. She has him wrapped around her finger. They both love Jesus and want to serve Him faithfully.

They have had a few setbacks along the way. They have also enjoyed numerous successes which never went to their heads. Both are generous to a fault. Though never rich they equally enjoy sharing what they have.

They call each other their best friend and enjoy time together. Even after twenty five years they still enjoy date nights from time to time. They still flirt with one another. They still approach life with prayer just as they did back in the beginning when they had nothing but a heart full of love and a head full of dreams.

They are both aging. Time is catching up with them little by little. There is more grey in the hair. Joints ache a little more. Neither are spring chickens both being firmly entrenched in middle age. Yet they remain young at heart. Their love has matured over time and is strong.

They enjoy time with their children. This is one of the few couples who still make it point to share family meals together at the dining table. Often laugher fills the dinging room along with delicious food. This couple makes it a point to talk to the children and listen about their days. Topics vary each time from friends, school, practices, God, and meaningful Bible passages.

It is hard to imagine people being married for twenty five years or longer. In a day when marriages fall apart in far less time it is a little glimmer of hope for the rest of us. Marriages can remain strong. People do stay together. Love can blossom even in the twilight years of life. Romance does not have to fizzle after two and a half decades.

Let me introduce our silver anniversary couple. Matt and Brenda Edwards.

Brenda, life has not always been easy and my dreams for ministry have not always come true. The two constants I've had is God's unwavering faithfulness and your unfailing love. You have endured my bouts with depression. You have comforted me in times of grief like when Momma died. You have supported me when taking steps of faith even when you were scared. You have believed in me when much of the time I did not believe in myself. You have laughed with me, cried with me, and celebrated the birth of four sons with me. You have prayed for me in the night watches when the sermons would not come. You have listened attentively when I mounted the steps of the pulpit for all these years. You have listened when I've vented my frustrations. You have been there to pick me up and bandage my wounds when I've failed. You have been my biggest cheerleader, my greatest prayer warrior, my soul mate, and my best friend. Twenty five years is much too short a time to have spent with you. I regret I have not always served you as I should. I regret I have not always expressed my love and appreciation as I should. I am long past making promises I know I can't keep. So on this day know I love you. I would marry you all over again. It is my privilege to share life and do ministry with you. I have often joked how when we leave churches they are glad to see me leave but hate letting go of you. I don't plan on letting go of you. Only the Lord knows the future and the end of our days. I only know I want to live them and enjoy them with you by my side. Maybe the Lord will bless  us to enjoy our golden anniversary. Life thus far has been an adventure. I anticipate more adventure is still to come. I plan on enjoying those experiences with you. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment