Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Day I Couldn't Fix It

Parents want to give their children a good life. Good parents encourage children to dream and pursue those dreams. Caring parents will do everything in their power to help make their children's dreams come true. They will sign them up for leagues. They will take them to practices and games. They will sign them up for summer reading programs and take them to the library. They sacrifice and serve the needs of their kids. 

A day comes when parents do not have enough power, resources, wisdom, or strength to make their children's dreams come true. No matter how hard they want to help, no matter how determined to see their kids succeed, there comes a time when parents' hands are tied. They cannot help. The need is too big, the odds too great, and the mountain to big to move on their own. 

I faced this recently with one of my kids. I wanted to help. I prayed to be able to help. But I could not help. His need was beyond my ability to step in and save the day.  It pained me. It pained Brenda nearly moving her to tears. As much as we wanted to help we could not do anything for him. 

I felt like a failure. I felt like I let my son down. I felt like for one of the first times I could not make his dream come true. 

Exit Matt. Enter God. God is the Father who always has the strength to help, the resources to meet needs, and the wisdom to know what is best. He is enough to help in any situation when parents cannot come through. God is a Father who never fails. 

Son, rest in Him and trust Him. He can do more for you than I will ever be able to do or have ever done in the past. God is a Father who will never leave you nor forsake you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment