Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Hump Day

It is Wednesday also known as hump day. For the past 28 years that has meant preparing a Bible study for students or adults for me. I will do so later tonight. Wednesday means midweek worship.

Of all the services I have preached over the years the Wednesday night crowd for adults has always been the smallest. I have taught fewer than half a dozen up to several dozen. For the past year and a half I  taught through the books of I and II Samuel. verse by verse. Many times I wished the crowds were bigger because the timeless truths of those books impacted me so deeply I wanted others to experience the same.

If we can make it through the day we will be on the downside of the work week and school week. It is on the downhill side closing in on the weekend. Some of you are already tired. It has already been a busy week. My guess is that you have already forgotten the sermon from Sunday. It seems to me a midweek Bible study is the medicine often needed to encourage and nourish us spiritually to finish the work week.

I know it is not easy to attend a midweek Bible study. Once you get home from work and prepare dinner it is easier to sit in the easy chair and relax. The last thing you feel like doing is getting back out for the evening. I can only pray that for those who do choose to do so God feeds your soul and rewards your efforts.

Like a marathoner or cyclist who gets water along the way or fruit to boost energy levels, so does a midweek Bible study boost the soul. We are so close to losing Wednesday nights to school programs, practices and activities. In a large part we are losing Sundays to select sports and recreation. I am advocating that Wednesday Bible study is worth fighting for. I know the crowds will most likely never be large but it is my honest conviction people need to have their souls fed on hump day.

So later this morning I will open my Bible to begin study for a new series. I will pray for God to give inspiration and revelation of truth. I will trust God for anointing to deliver that truth. In the end, I will trust that for those who choose to attend a midweek Bible study the reward will be worth the effort as they hear from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment