Monday, February 29, 2016

Empty

I remember the day vividly. My friend and I were going to grab breakfast not far from his office. We went in his Tahoe. Suddenly the motor began to sputter and then died. When my friend looked down while trying to restart it he found the problem. The gas tank was empty.

I had to get out and help push the Tahoe a couple of blocks to the nearest gas station. I vowed then and there to never ride with him again without checking his gas gauge. Later that came to mean something more for the two of us as we used those words to check on our spiritual condition.

There are many people living life on the fumes of spiritual, emotional and physical reserves. They are empty. Empty in what they have left to offer people. Empty means being filed with nothing and having no value or purpose. Such people are not filled with the all God has to offer. They may know these things in their head and they may have actually experienced these things in their past but they are empty now. They see themselves as having no value or purpose.

Empty people are tired people, wounded people, depleted people and generally hopeless people. None of these things match what God wants for people. Instead God offers strength and rest for weary people. Matthew 11:28-30 (NASB) 
28  "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
29  "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.
30  "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."For the wounded souls God offers healing and wholeness.  Psalm 34:18 (NASB)
18  The LORD is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit. And for depleted people God offers revival though His word.  Psalm 119:156 (NASB)
156  Great are Your mercies, O LORD; Revive me according to Your ordinances. THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE WITH GOD FOR REFRESHING.  Psalm 31:24 (NASB)
24  Be strong and let your heart take courage, All you who hope in the LORD.

Empty people do not have to remain empty. Just like my friend refueled his car so can God refuel us for the journey. He revives us according to His word if we steadily and diligently feed our souls with those savory truths. He renews our hearts in Him as we slow down and meditate on His greatness. He refreshes our souls as we learn to enjoy down times and Sabbaths with Him. 

For all those living on empty right now I encourage you to slow down, rest and allow God to recover your soul with life. Slow down from the rat race and allow God to heal what needs healing and to revive your soul spiritually. 

If you do not do these things it is only a matter of time before you run out of gas and break down just like my friend and I ran out of gas on the side of the road. God has all the resources necessary to fill all the empty places of your life. Then you can live life full, full of faith, full of devotion for God and full of ministry to offer those around you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment