Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Let It Pour

I was in the middle of preaching last night under an outdoor tabernacle when I started seeing flashes of lightening out of the corner of my eye. Soon the winds picked up and it began to rain. At first it only sprinkled. Then it began to deluge. The rain started coming sideways underneath the tabernacle. The pouring rain pounded so loudly on the tin roof that I had to stop talking several times because even with a microphone I could not talk louder than the pounding rain. At times it felt like God Himself was passing by in the storm in trying to get the attention of all the students.

That rain storm lasted for the majority of the service. It poured. I stopped not knowing what to do so I prayed under my breath for direction. There were several moments we just sat in silence beholding the power of God in that storm. In similar fashion we long for the Spirit of God to be poured out on us. He has been this far and we expect He will only intensify over the course of these next several nights.

It dawned on me later in the evening what a rare and special thing it is for these students to see rain at all much less a pouring rain like we saw. How I long for God to pour His Spirit out like a pouring rain storm on His church once again. Just like those students have not seen rain in some time many of God's churches have not had the Spirit poured out on them in years. They may have forgotten what it is like.

Lord, Your church needs reviving. This is not news for You. I ask You to open up the Heavens and let the rain of Your Spirit fall once again. I ask You to pour down on Your church again. You know what we need much better than me. I ask You to revive us once again so we bear much fruit for You. Let it pour.

No comments:

Post a Comment