Wednesday, July 24, 2013

An Offering

From where I sit I do not have a great deal to offer God. I do not have large sums of money to be given. My talents are few and rather ordinary. I do not have a large ministry. I serve a small church and the few books I have written have not even made the local best seller's list. I have little to offer. All around me I see needs. Broken families. Lives destroyed by destructive behavior. Rampant sin. Poverty. Lostness. A nation heading on a collision course with God's judgment. At times I feel powerless to do anything about it or to make any difference. I am sure that is how the person felt who had the seven loaves of bread in [Mark 8:1-9]. Seven loaves of bread. 4,000 people who had not eaten in three days. A desolate place where no food could be found or bought. The obstacle was huge. The offering of the seven loaves was small and might have seemed insignificant. I googled the question how many people could seven loaves feed. One commented they served sandwiches for 35 people and that took five loaves. They estimated a sandwich and a half for every person (men eating two and women eating one.)How in the world could anyone think the small offering of seven loaves would make any difference? The disciples certainly didn't. I bet the hungry people didn't either. Great obstacles met with sacrificial offerings equal God's opportunities. You know the rest. [Mark 8:9] sums up the whole story. "And they ate and were satisfied; and they picked up seven large baskets full of what was left over of the broken pieces." Little is much when God blesses it. Today you come to God's table like me with little to offer. All you really have is your life. You offer that to be blessed, broken, and given in service. Little is much when God blesses it. You serve in your little corner of the harvest field faithfully. You leave the results up to God. You teach a class of junior high boys. You head up the hospitality team in your church. You serve on the missions board. You volunteer at the Care Center for senior adults in your community. You put a meager amount of money in the offering plate each week wishing you could do more. You offer your life laid down on the altar as a sacrifice. [Rom 12:1] God can do much with what is offered to Him whether it be a few loaves, a few dollars, or a few years of devoted service. God can do more with a true offering to Him than with talent, eloquence, charisma, riches, or fame. God uses the foolish things of the world to shame the wise. [I Cor 1:27] I say it again. God can turn a little into much when He blesses it. So what about it? Will you make your offering today? For some of you monetary offerings costs very little because you have money in ample supply. Will you offer the loaves and fishes of your life? Will you give your remaining days to follow His leadership and serve wherever He leads you. It may not require any great changes on your part other than being available. On the other hand He may call you to follow Him in leaving everything comfortable and familiar like He did with Abraham in [Gen 12:1-3]. Are you willing to lay it all on God's altar? Will you give Him the offering of your life and your "yes" to follow His leadership? While walking on the campus of Dallas Baptist University last week at youth camp I saw a statue of Jesus with a net in His hands with this caption written on a large brick wall, "Will you follow Me?" Without hesitation I answered that question in the form of a prayer. "Yes! I have in the past. I still am. I will continue to follow You wherever You lead." That is my offering. That is my loaves. My life. All of it. Every dream. Every relationship. My finances. My future. My dreams. My home. All His. My writings are His. My preaching is devoted to Him. It is a small offering but I pray Jesus would take it, bless it and multiply it for His own purposes. Who will join me in the offering of your life? Little is much when God chooses to bless it.

No comments:

Post a Comment