Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I Do Not Understand

Lord, as I sit with you this morning I do not understand,
What you have fully purposed - details you have planned, 
I see heartache and sorrow flowing like a river all around,
Unanswered prayers, tearful eyes, heavy burdens abound, 
The weight is crushing, the pain defeating, there is weeping, 
While others suffer and hurt I find my faith slowly leaking, 
Lord, I do not understand - why people suffer on silently, 
Why the storms of life toss and overwhelm so violently, 
Why when we cry for help it seems you often ignore, 
You are silent no matter how desperately we implore,
So I sit here today and still do not grasp nor can understand, 
All of your purposes and ways poured out on mortal man, 
You say we are called to walk by faith - to simply believe, 
Hard to do when your heart is shattered - broken - bereaved,
I know you love - I know you hear - those who are broken, 
Who find themselves clinging to every word you've spoken, 
You are strong - the wisest,  - you alone the God Almighty, 
We're weak, unsure, sweetly surrendered and broken slightly, 
You are good - kind - loving beyond all ability to measure, 
You are our hope, our refuge, all of you our greatest treasure, 
Help us to trust when blinded by pain and the circumstance, 
Help us to rest in you irregardless of life and happenstance, 
Like a child we reach for your steady hand always unchanging, 
Knowing you have the power in our lives to keep rearranging, 
Trading sorrow for joy in the morning - giving beauty for ashes, 
Still we do not understand why life feels like a beating with lashes,
Only you know the pain suffered by all your sad earthly people, 
May we find solace in you under the shadow of your steeples,
May our burdens be unloaded and cast from weary shoulders, 
To you looking like mere pebbles - to us more like boulders,
I still do not grasp nor am I fully able to understand, 
What you have purposed and the nuances of your plans, 
Today I sit before you - your word washing fears and doubts away, 
I keep trusting - abiding - grasping to your unchanging hand today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment