Wednesday, March 6, 2013

God's Plan

We like to plan our lives. One day while walking back to the locker room after football practice at Howard Payne University, our quarterback asked me about my plans for the future. I laid it out in detail as I saw it. None of it came to pass. 

We plan and dream about the future. God also has a plan and nothing or no one can deter that plan. [Is 14:27] "For the Lord of Hosts has planned and who can frustrate it? And as for His stretched out hand, who can turn it back."

This is at the same time both comforting and troubling. In the context of Isaiah He is pronouncing judgment. It makes me wonder about the United States. Though we proudly wave our flag and flaunt our freedom, I wonder about God's plan for a nation that has forsaken Him. What will our outcome be. God has a plan. If that plan includes this nation surviving and playing a part in the unfolding drama of these end times nothing can stop that. If God's plan includes this nation being conquered and subdued by some other no President or military might will be able to stop it.

On the other hand this verse is comforting. I am writing this near Houston, TX where I will be preaching a youth rally tonight. God's plan included bringing into relationship with Mark and Teresa Julian and Eric Adcock. That opened the door for me to preach tonight.

God used my youth minister back in 1985 to open the door for me to play football at Howard Payne University. God's bigger plan included me meeting Brenda and studying for the ministry.

I did not foresee any of that unfolding. My life has been an adventure but God has had a plan every step of the way. There have been times when I rebelled against that plan and took detours. I have paid dearly every time. Yet God in His infinite wisdom and grace has gotten me back on the right track time and time again.

I do not know the future anymore than any of you do. I know God holds the future and He holds my life and yours in the palm of His hand. He knows what lies ahead today, tomorrow, and all of our days. Why fret and worry?

God has a plan,and more importantly, He is strong enough to make that plan come true. This is why I believe God has a buyer for my house in Seminole and a house for my family in Paradise though we have waited seventeen months for that plan to unfold. This is why I believe God has a plan for each of my boys. They have dreams but what is most important is that they dream the dreams God has for them. I believe God has a plan for Faith Community Church. It has not always been an easy road but we have seen the hand of God blessing this church in more ways than I can recount now.

What God purposes He is strong enough to bring to pass. What God plans nobody can stop. So today I choose to rest in the comfort that God has a plan and I seek His leadership and direction to walk that path. I believe with confidence nobody and nothing can stop God's plan from coming to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment