Thursday, January 13, 2011

Honduras Mission Trip Journal (part 1)

It is 4:31 a.m. Jase, Mark, and I are sitting at gate two at the Midland International Airport. We left Seminole at 2:57 a.m. to get here for our flight to Houston and then onto San Predo in Honduras. I probably got at most three hours of sleep last night. After we get to San Pedro we will drive three hours up into the mountains to get to Copan Ruinas, where we will base out of for the week.

This is all new to me. Honduras will make my fourth country to visit all on missions; Mexico, Cuba, and Canada make up the other three. I am starting the year off with a focus on missions. I do not know why but God has called me to raise the money to build a hospital over there. My main purpose on this trip is to gather information for this project and to pray for wisdom on how to go forward. I trust God to bring it to pass. I know very little about Honduras other than the fact it is a poor country. I will gladly follow God on this new adventure even though mentally, I am distracted by other things.

I don’t know what to expect but I see how God continues to open doors to expand His kingdom around the world. Less than eleven years ago I had never been on a mission trip. This will make my twelfth one. I have also traveled to Portland, OR and Spokane, WA on other trips as well as the other mentioned countries. I continue to pack my bags and go because God has called me.

It is never easy leaving home. Brenda is sick. The boys hate it when I leave on these trips. I could barely pry Turner off my lap last night to get him to bed. He seems to take my leaving the hardest. I would never pack my suitcase and leave willingly except God’s call on my life trumps even my family. I do not enjoy traveling but I do so for ministry. I would prefer to stay at home but God’s call will not allow for that. I know I will be drawn closer to God on this trip. I wish I were not so distracted but getting away from Seminole will be good.

Lord, I know so little about Honduras. I know so little about the culture and the spiritual condition of the people. What do you want to teach me, reveal to me, and call me to on this trip? I sit here willing to go. I do not know what to expect. I do not know what you will allow me to see or experience. I come open to whatever you want to do in my life.

How can I raise $100,000? Saying, “yes” to this task was the easy part. The enormity of the task is setting in. All things are possible with you. I ask you to use this trip to open my eyes to the needs you are calling me to meet. I ask you to use this trip to bond Jase, Mark, and I even closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment