Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Infinite Value of Knowing Christ

There is an infinite value in knowing Christ. I use the words “infinite” and “value” intentionally. The word infinite means “without end, boundless, immeasurable.” The word value can be defined as “estimated or accessed worth.”

In this world where value is put on labels, fashions, possessions, and pleasures Jesus Christ exceeds them all. This is a bold claim but not one I am making on my own but one found right in the scriptures. “But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ.” [Phil 3:7-8]

Television commercials try to make us place value on things. Retailers employ marketing experts to entice us to buy their products. In this world of every kind of pleasure both sordid and unadulterated, Paul says knowing Jesus Christ is of surpassing value to all the rest. Is this really true? When I look at the life of many believers this does not seem to be the case. Sin still looks enticing. Contentment seems as elusive as ever. Knowing Christ has been replaced with attending services and bible studies.

As I read Paul this morning I cannot help but think there is so much more for the lives of Christ’s followers than attending church and spending the rest of our days buying more and more that never produces the desired satisfaction we have craved. There really is a value to knowing Christ but in my own life why do I settle for lesser things. Why do I trade Christ for cheap imitations that have no value?

When Paul writes that knowing Christ is of surpassing value, what he is communicating is that knowing Christ is superior, better than, and more excellent than anything this world has to offer. There are days like this morning when I believe that to the core of my being. There are other days when I become convinced like Adam and Eve there is something better or more out there and I chase in vain after things that do have the ability or worth to satisfy. It is a vicious cycle maybe you have experienced yourself.

I cannot be regulated to consistent patterns of disregarding Christ for what the world says I have to have or need to enjoy having the fullest life. The fullest life imaginable is one in which I relate to Jesus on a closer level. The fullest life possible is a life devoted to the deepest affections, admiration, and devotion to Christ. Out of this experience we can enjoy the abundant life. [Jn 10:10]

So as this day begins like thousands before it in your life and mine let us begin by gazing on Jesus Christ. Let us be captivated by his infinite worth. Let us not be duped by the glitz and sparkles of things in this world but be mesmerized by the glory of the risen Christ. His is a glory and a view more spectacular and breath taking than can be captured with words. Let us behold his glory. [Jn 17:24] He alone is of infinite value. All the rest lose their luster, fade with the years, and pass away. Thank you Jesus, my King, my Lord, and my infinite value. Please hold my attention all through the day and keep me from being distracted by anything or anyone who would beckon me away from you

No comments:

Post a Comment