Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Honduras Journal part 10

1-05-11 – 7:59 p.m. After visiting the village of El Bonete, talking to the doctors again, walking to both medical clinics in town, and getting to prayer walk on the proposed land for the new hospital I am pretty tired. We enjoyed another great dinner of lasagna this evening again at Big Jim’s.

I played with a little boy and a little girl at the top of El Bonete today until I worked up a sweat in mild temperatures. Though I could not speak their language, I could speak the language of love. We laughed together a lot. Another boy latched on to my hand as we climbed the hill to look at the church and the school that share the same building. His grasping my hand melted my heart.

Playing with those children made me miss my family. I am ready to return home and my life there with my new mission. I see the work here and know what I am called to do. It is nearly impossible to describe the medical clinics I saw today.

The first one we visited is about 900 total square feet. There is no place for a patient to get long-term care. The make shift room used for surgery has only two beds and one chair. They can give stitches and do a few minor procedures but that is it. They are not equipped or staffed to do more. There is not room to do more. Another small room contains an office and examination room combined. The only other room is a reception waiting room with enough seating for half a dozen people at most. The second clinic we visited in a different part of town is smaller and less equipped than the first though the facility is newer.

The parcel of ground they have located is not large. It is located on the main road leading into Copan Ruinas. I asked God for the land as I walked over the ground. I see even more clearly why God has called me to trust Him for the money for this hospital and the land. I have now laid eyes on the plans for the hospital. In the States we would not call the propose building a hosptial but a larger and improved medical clinic. The plans call for a three-story building. One floor will house x-rays, examination rooms, and offices. The second floor will actually have some patient rooms and the third floor will include more examination rooms and some living quarters for medical missionary doctors when they come on their trips. This is an exciting work to partner with God in accomplishing.

Lord, I am grateful you allowed me to go on this trip. I will not forget the images I have seen and the people I have met. I see my mission more clearly now. That has been the easy part. The hard part begins when I get home. I have to trust you for $140,000. I ask you again to move this mountain.

I ask you to encourage the Chorti people once we leave. You have not nor will you ever forsake these people. You will keep giving them strength to continue laboring for you. You will give them counsel to make wise decisions. You will provide for their needs. You are their helper not us. We are just vessels you work through. You are the hope for these people.

All I can do is to follow you in obedience in what you have called me to do. It is hard to put into words what I felt today sitting in a home with no electricity. Contrast that with the fact tonight I ate at a restaurant decorated with Christmas lights and I am writing this by lamp light near my bed. There is no air conditioning in this mission house but we do have fans and ceiling fans to cool us off.

Today the temperatures climbed to the hottest since we have been here. Compared to the oppressive heat and humidity of the summer today was like a fall day. I am guilty of taking so much for granted. You have blessed me with so much modern luxury back home. I have many comforts the Chorti could have not even imagine. I do believe my office at the church is nearly as big as some of the houses I saw in El Zapota. I have been blessed with thousands of books, a lap top computer, Bible study software, the latest technology and air conditioning at home, in my office, and even in my truck.

You have blessed me with a house. I have running water, access to hot water whenever I want, a dining table with enough seating for eight people, a living room crammed with furniture along with four bedrooms and two bathrooms. I am a blessed man. Thank you Lord. I repent of taking so much granted and thinking I ever have to have more. In Jesus name, amen.

Tomorrow we go back home. Our journey back to Seminole will start early in the morning and end after dark. We will catch a bus back to San Pedro. Once we get to the airport we will catch a plane to Houston and then make a connecting flight that will transport us back to Midland. From there we will drive the one-hour back home. Our day will begin about 4:00 a.m. and we are scheduled to get back to Seminole after 9:30 p.m. I need to get to bed and be ready for an early start.

No comments:

Post a Comment