Monday, September 4, 2017

My Travels And The People I Meet

In recent days I have preached in different places. I've met some wonderful people along the way. I recall a group I met in a small country church in a small rural town not long ago. Salt of the earth kind of people. Good people. Hospitable people. They were gracious hosts.

Their enthusiasm for the preached word of God exited me. You do not always see that now days. From the moment Brenda and I met our hosts to the time we left those people touched me deeply. We had our formal introductions and then shared a meal together. Before long it felt like sitting down with old friends.

Our worship was a far cry from where Brenda and the boys and I worshipped yesterday. I did not preach but had the chance to receive. It was a mega church.Seating capacity in the sanctuary was 4,500. They had a large choir. Everything boasted of excellence. Yet I did not feel at home. I have grown accustomed to small country churches and small towns.

People were friendly yesterday. We did not feel a connection with anyone. The preacher did a fine job. Very biblical and very eloquent. He was also very educated. As great and as big as that church was it could not compare to the small country church I preached in just a little over a week ago.

I recall a man meeting my wife and taking his hat off when he introduced himself. He did the same thing when we left town. That made a bigger impression on me than any greeter at the door of that large church yesterday. In both churches we sang hymns. In the small country church Brenda and I had the chance to eat with the song leader and his wife along with another couple the night before. That made for a deeper connection.

I will never forget that little country church. I enjoyed the larger church but I am a small town preacher at heart. I may preach in some larger churches from time to time. I will be grateful for those opportunities. I guess I will always feel more at home in small towns in country churches. I am thankful for the people I get to meet alone the way in my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment