Tuesday, September 12, 2017

My Golf Cart Date

We were blessed with a golf cart when we moved into our present home. None of us play golf. It has become a tool for Brenda and I to enjoy some date nights.

I don't know why we enjoy riding in that golf cart around our sprawling neighborhood. We putt around and talk. Sometimes the talks are serious. Other times we enjoy the beautiful scenery of the wooded community, the rolling hills, the lake, roaming deer, and hopping rabbits. We live in a beautiful place but what I enjoy most is riding beside my beautiful bride.

I joked with her recently she is my standing golf cart date. It is not an expensive date. For just a few dollars of gas we can cruise our neighborhood for a long time. We drive all the roads in the neighborhood sometimes laughing, sometimes bearing  one another's burdens, and at other times dreaming about the future.

It really does not matter what we talk about as long as she and I get that time together. No boys to interrupt. No phone calls. No distractions. Just she and I like it all began on the Howard Payne University campus 30 years ago this month. She is still the woman I am madly in love with and the one I enjoy spending my time with the most.

I like when she gently rubs my back when I drive. I don't know why she always wants me to drive. I drive aimlessly many times past sundown just to enjoy precious time alone with her.

In recent days we have had the chance to worship together. Most of our marriage I have been the one preaching. I certainly have enjoyed listening to God's word next to her and her holding my hand especially in poignant moments.

After all these years it saddens me I am not a better provider. I regret the many hardships I have put her through in my zeal to follow Jesus. I regret that most of my dreams have never come to fruition but she still supports me. I have so little to offer her except my love and a few golf cart date nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment