Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Ministry Marriage

My family worshipped where my mother in law worships this past Sunday. The pastor's wife had just died. In fact they were having the funeral the following day. As a first time guest I watched with interest everything about the facilities, the people, the worship, and of course the ministry of the word.

The pastor showed up but did not preach. A former staff member preached that morning. I never did hear how long the pastor had served that flock. I got the impression it has been for decades. I did hear that he is 80 years old.

What I noticed most is the love that congregation had for one another and for their pastor. I saw people hugging one another all morning. Several times people gathered around the pastor to pray for him. The church took up a love offering to bless him. As I understood it the pastor and his wife had never taken a salary from the church. He had been a business man who did well before God called him to preach.

What I saw this past Sunday reminded me of a wedding. That may sound strange being the pastor's wife had just died. Let me explain. I saw a congregation loving their pastor and the pastor loving his congregation. I saw a true union between a church and their pastor. The love was evident even to a first time visitor like me.

When God creates such a union between a flock and a shepherd it is supernatural. Just like when a man and woman commit their lives to one another in marriage, I believe a ministry marriage can happen. When God's right man is ordained and assigned to a specific congregation to love, nurture, feed, and lead a ministry marriage happens.  It is equally special when such a congregation loves their pastor and supports him in times of trials like this pastor losing his wife. Though she is not lost for he knows where to find her and will be reunited with her again one day.

The longer I preach and visit different churches the more treasured I see this sacred romance between a pastor and a congregation. To be sure we have all heard about situations that were not a good fit and where a ministry divorce was sought. We have all seen the division and strife such situations bring. It makes it all the more special in light of the times it goes wrong when God puts His right man with His right church.

I think of my pastor, Charles Roberts, who served Denman Avenue Baptist Church for 33 years, if my memory serves me correctly. He had some great years there. He also confided in me there were challenges along the way. God created a ministry marriage between Charles and Doris Roberts and Denman Avenue Baptist Church. I count myself blessed to have been under his ministry for many years. He is retired and does interim ministry now but still attends Denman Avenue when he is not preaching elsewhere.

I will not soon forget the love I saw on full display at Glory Church this past Sunday. I will not forget the way those people surrounded, comforted, and loved on their grieving pastor. The pastor did get up to say a few words of thanks. His love for His flock was evident.

I don't know who your pastor is. Maybe today you can send them an email, letter, or a text. Maybe today you can call to encourage. Let your pastor know they do not labor in vain. Let your pastor know how much love you have. Let your pastor know how grateful you are God created a ministry marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment