Sunday, May 29, 2016

Super Hero

Which is it? Superman or Batman? Captain America or Iron Man? Flash or Aquaman? Spiderman or Hulk? From comics to the big screen these things have been debated and each hero as a loyal following. This was even a topic around my dining table not long ago.

The conversation changed abruptly when I asked why there was no talk among my prodigy of the greatest super hero of all - JESUS CHRIST!

He died to save and forgive. That is the act of a super hero. Transforming lives. Setting the captives free. Transferring people from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of God's light. Making people brand new from the inside out. Jesus is my hero.

He is my commander in chief. My superior officer. 2 Timothy 2:1-4 (NASB) 
1  You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
2  The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
3  Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.
4  No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier.

I have drunk deeply from the cup of grace. I have become intoxicated on the sweet wine of Jesus and forgiveness. I have enlisted in his army and there is no turning back. \

Daily I awake and come before my commanding officer to get my marching orders for the day. In recent days that meant rejoicing with a couple at the birth of a child. I ministered to a family in the emergency room. I prayed with a family beside the bedside of a dying wife, mother, and grandmother. I've met with people concerning the Shake the Campus revivals. I have preached and taught the word of God. 

I don't know what all Jesus has in mind for me. It does not matter. He is my hero and I pledge my loyalty to Him. I follow where He leads. I obey what He commands. I go where He sends me. He gives the order and I say yes sir. 

I fall in line with scores of other people before me who have enlisted in the army of God. They are a great cloud of witnesses. Hebrews 12:1-2 (NASB) 
1  Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
2  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

My hero does not wear a cape but wore a crown of thorns and a cross. Today He sits at the right hand of God. Soon he will come back on a white horse as a righteous judge. I am proud to be counted in his number. I pledge my life to my hero JESUS. When He appears every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord - the GREATEST SUPERHERO IN HISTORY!  

No comments:

Post a Comment