Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Milk And Memories

Like so many other times with a family of six we ran out of milk today. Unlike in days gone by we could not go out to the barn to the milk cow for more. Like so many other spoiled Americans we go to the grocery store for milk. For us that means close to a twenty mile round trip.

I didn't want to go especially after a leg work out day. I wanted to curl up in my chair for a relaxing evening before bed. I almost got Taylor to do it but I know he was worn out from a grueling work out. So I decided I would do it. Brenda cooked dinner after getting off work while we were still pumping iron. It would not have been fair to ask her to do it. Tanner is in Galveston enjoying a senior trip wit his best buddies from high school. Tucker is hanging out with friends for a few hours.

I recruited Turner to go with me. It turned out to be a special night. We listened to good music, sang together, laughed, got the milk and got out. We were having such a good time we ended up driving an extra ten minutes listening to music and laughing. It turned out to be a rather special night with my youngest boy and me.

I cherish the time we spent together like I do with all my boys. They are growing up way too fast. Now I have two out of high school. Where I now enjoy a table for six in just two and half months we will sit down to four place settings instead of six. Tucker has only two years of high school left. Tuner is starting his last year of junior high. The memories are many and vivid. I am blessed. Yet I know the nest will one day be empty. While I am proud of my boys it saddens me they will all way too soon fly the nest and eventually have families of their own. So I thank God for nights like tonight, or one one one meals Taylor and I have enjoyed since he got home from college. I cannot express my gratitude to God for the trip Tanner and I made out to Wayland back in the spring to visit. I enjoy the trips Tucker and I take together for his rehab the two of us. All blessings I do not want to take for granted.

How many times does God take mundane and unpleasant circumstances and turn them into something unexpectedly sweet. He did that for me tonight. I will never forget this trip go get milk and the memories made along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment