Tuesday, May 3, 2016

A Visit To The Children's Hospital

I made a visit to Cook's Children Hospital today. Praise God the member of our church admitted there is getting better and will be released soon. A children's hospital is not a fun place to visit. I have been there many times. For rare diseases, emergency room visits, tragic accidents, and surgeries.

My heart grieved as I walked past heavy laden parents struggling watching their children suffer. It seemed the weight of the world sat on their shoulders. Their eyes were empty devoid of hope. Though they managed a smile many of them have very little to smile about.

These parents no longer celebrate homers, piano and dance recitals, or touchdowns. They have learned to celebrate small victories like a trip down the hall in the wheelchair, a few steps taken, opening of eyes, and a few words spoken.

There are very sick children there. When I asked the patient I visited how he was doing mentally he responded, "I'm fine. It is not like I have cancer."

I had to wait in the hall way before making my visit. I stood there watching the nurses and various parents walk by. I thought to myself, "If I could pray and truly deliver healing miracles I would want to go to every room to help those hurting broken children and parents. I would want to dispense hope and healing."

Even if I could do that I could not take all ther pain from those families. They would still experience other trials, hurts, and possibly even other sickness down the road. It is part of the curse of planet earth.

The longer I stood in the hallway I thought about my trials and then about the health of my boys. Four wonderful, strong, healthy, athletic boys. Even with Tucker's knee surgery he will recover. I am thankful for the gift of those boys. Each unique. Each special to me in their own way. Each a blessing. Each a true joy. Not perfect boys by any means. Yet, they bless their mother and I. We do not deserve them to have good health. It is a gift from God. They make us proud. They make us laugh. They make us sad and angry at times too. Yet they are a true gift from God.

Taylor is finishing up final exams for his sophomore  year in college. Tanner is winding up his last few weeks of high school preparing to graduate. Tucker is working hard to rehabilitate his knee and working toward getting his driver's license. Turner and I played basketball after school today just like I used to play with his older brothers. He is getting pretty good.

I do not want to take my children for granted. How many parents have cried gut wrenching tears watching their children fade and eventually enter eternity. Those parents would do anything to play a basketball  game or to sit around the dinner table with their children. Other parents in that hospital desperately cling to hope by their finger tips. They would love to see their child up and active again. My youngest three are in the kitchen washing dinner dishes. How many of those children in the hospital do not have the strength to even do that.

I am fortunate. No, I am blessed. I only visited the children's hospital today. I got to leave. I am writing this from my recliner in the living room. Please say a prayer for those suffering and the caretakers of those in children's hospitals tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment