Saturday, June 14, 2014

Honorary Father

My friend, EddieAlexander, went to be with the Lord just after midnight after Easter day. He served on staff at Faith Community Church for a couple of years. He was anointed worship pastor and many times God used him to minister to my heart. Eddie and Dianna have two boys; Daniel and Andrew.

I have coached both boys in the past and developed a special bond with them. When Eddie died I was honored to be asked to preach part of the service. My heart has remained heavy for the boys. Daniel is Taylor's best friend. He graduated a week ago and it broke my heart his father was not there to share in that experience. I have carried a deep burden for Dianna for weeks as well.

Daniel and Andrew just stopped by to see me. They said they had something they wanted to give me. They handed me an award certificate that reads, HONORARY FATHER - This is to certify that Matt Edwards is hereby knighted HONORARY FATHER FOR DANIEL AND ANDREW - June 15, 2014 - Daniel Alexander - Andrew Alexander. 

I was blown away. These two boys claimed me as one of their honorary fathers before Father's Day. They both told me how much I meant to them and each hugged me in turn. They are actually leaving for a mission trip to Honduras tomorrow and wanted me to have this honor before Father's Day.

I am still stunned. I told them that I could never replace their father but I loved them both. I also know what it is like to grow up without a father. God placed several surrogate fathers in my life over time; Eli Bernard, Charles Roberts, David Munden, and my Uncle Buddy "Papa" Ford. I do not have one memory of spending even one Father's Day with my real dad.

The greatest dad of all is God the Father. He more than made up for any lack I had in growing up without an earthly father. I know the pain and emptiness. [Ps 68:5] A father to the fatherless and a judge for the widows, is God in His holy habitation. 

God will be a father for Daniel and Andrew. He is more than an honorary father. He is with them every moment of every day. He will never one time leave them or forsake them. He will always come through for them, have the necessary wisdom for them, and provide for any need they will ever have.

Though humbled to be chosen as their honorary father, I trust God will stand in for their departed earthly father in ways no man ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment