Friday, March 28, 2014

The Fog Of Confusion

I got out of bed weary from a late night at Taylor's track meet. Tucker still had early morning practice. We both got in my truck and were surprised by heavy fog. This was not ordinary fog. In the thirty plus years I have been driving I have never encountered worse fog. You could not see twenty five yards in front of you.

Three times I missed turns because I simply could not see. At one point I did not even see a red light until I was near the intersection. I witnessed the tail lights of one car in front of me completely disappear  at about twenty five yards out front. I could not even see a hint of that car through the dense fog.

It made driving treacherous. I was tense. Though I knew the way to school like the back of my hand I felt unsure and unsettled on our morning commute. The fog disoriented me to my surroundings. At one point I found myself driving in the wrong lane reserved for oncoming traffic. I am grateful to God no  cars were in that lane.

There are days and seasons when we can feel the same way I felt this morning trying to figure out God's direction for our lives. For many reasons we may live in confusion but one thing must be remembered. GOD IS NOT THE AUTHOR OF CONFUSION. [I Cor 14:33]

Where does the confusion come from. Satan clouds our minds like fog. Thoughts can be planted that lead us astray. Thoughts that make us doubt God. Thoughts that lead us down the path of sin and rebellion.

How do we combat this confusion. I have two words of counsel. First, we must stay in God's word. As we read it, study it, and meditate on it those truths can guide our steps. God does not want us to live in fog like confusion. He offers guidance and counsel for the journey of life. Far too often we get ourselves busy doing anything and everything but reading God's word and trusting God will use scriptures to direct our paths. I know this sounds like a Sunday School answer but it is absolutely vital to help us navigate the maze of this life.

The second bit of counsel is to wait on God. When we get confused it is also possible to become so impatient we take matters into our own hands. Many heartaches and trials have befallen people who would not wait on God and His timing. We ought to determine not to make major life decisions until we hear clearly from God. God works through the searching process to develop our character, to reveal more of Himself and to teach us patience as well as perseverance. Time spent waiting is not time spent wasted. God has His methods and His ways and one of those is learning to wait.

If you find yourself in the fog of confusion keep reading scripture. When God is ready He will give light to make the path known you are supposed to take. Until that day wait patiently on God to illuminate that path.

By midmorning the fog lifted around Wise County. I spent a good deal of my day driving and had no problems. The same will be true for you too. One day the fog of confusion will lift in your life as well. You will see clearly the path you are supposed to take. Until that day stay in the scriptures and keep waiting on God patiently.


No comments:

Post a Comment