Sunday, March 30, 2014

Spilled Popcorn

We went to a movie yesterday. Afterward we had a few errands to run in Denton. We had left over popcorn in the car and one of the buckets spilled leaving popcorn in the floor. Taylor raked it out on the  parking lot.

After a minutes of shopping I had enough and went back outside to sit down on a bench. I had a perfect  vantage point to see, not only our car, but also the spilled popcorn on the parking lot. A passage of scripture came to mind. Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? [Matt 6:26]

Not long after a bird flew near our car and landed. Before long the bird enjoyed a popcorn buffet. I sat on that bench watching the bird enjoying popcorn. It dawned on me how God provided for that bird with what looked like an accident to me. Spilled popcorn created a mess in the car floor. God had a plan and the bird received God's bountiful provision even though it did not sow, reap, or store the popcorn in barns.

God does the same for us. I had to buy Taylor two new tires for his truck this week. God sent provision to pay for those tires from a dear couple from Seminole. They sent the provision in the mail before Taylor even had the flat and we discovered the tires were worn and in dangerous condition. I had to buy some books for my upcoming book promotion tour. God made provision for those books through a farmer in West Texas. After church today we shared lunch with two families from the church. We were shocked when of those families bought lunch for my whole family. Over and over again God provides for His own children.

I have seen this over and over again. In just the past year when Brenda's car needed repairs God sent us a check for $5,000 from a friend without our ever telling Him. When we needed down payment money for our house God came through. When we needed money for roof repairs on the house God sent exactly what we needed through a man who dropped by my office. I never mentioned the need to him. He had already written a check and just slid it across my desk without saying a word about it. When I needed money to get copies of my new book and for travel expenses to go promote it God came through once again. In essence God has spilled a little more popcorn over and over again to provide for my household just like He did for that bird yesterday afternoon.

I have a son about to go off to college. All we have ever counseled Taylor about college is to go where God wants him. We have not told him where to go. We have prayed with him and exhorted him to pray for God's leadership in this area. Well God did lead and reveal His will for Taylor. God wants Taylor to go to Howard Payne University where Brenda and I met and graduated. Howard Payne is a private college. We trust God will spill a little more popcorn.

My family has sat in the front row of God's arena of life and watched Him show up and spill popcorn for us over and over again. I have shared these stories with my boys, at churches I have preached, and in the books and blogs I have written. I am confident He will provide for you too. O God, please spill a little more popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment