Sunday, March 23, 2014

My First Love

O Lord how I pray for a rekindling of a fresh fire,
Until You alone only are my heart's one true desire,
You'll never be content to  play second fiddle in my soul,
You demand allegiance of heart not in part but the whole,
O how I plead that You alone would be my first great love,
The One I turn to when times are hard - push comes to shove,
I ache for more - a new love when saved learned so long ago,
When my heart burned zealously You to love and You to know,
You more to be my first love a fire that blazes and all consuming,
When joy for the journey and the relentless seeking keep resuming,
Driving me to my knees in private worship, Bible study and prayer,
Where You fill every crevice in my life, mind, and soul layer after layer,
The distractions constantly drag, pull, squeeze and tug me deeper under,
And my mind is tormented, divided, afflicted and nearly torn asunder,
I long for simpler times where I got lost in the simple act of loving You,
When loving and obeying You revealed to me a most intimate view,
You are a passion, a magnificent obsession, mine to relentlessly pursue,
Jesus, my first love, My Redeemer please deepen that love and renew,
A simple faith, a greater confidence, and a stronger more enduring belief,
If You're not my first love my heart would break in an excruciating grief.


No comments:

Post a Comment