Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Full Circle

I can't believe how the years have flown by. One day I am holding Taylor for the first time at the hospital giving him back to God. We bonded quickly. We became inseparable mainly because Brenda had to work. I remember changing diapers, the first time he called me dad, his first steps, and a thousand other firsts like teeth and a hair cut. When he was old enough to walk he got up off the front pew and walked onto the platform while I was preaching one Sunday evening because he wanted me to hold him. I preached the remainder of the message holding him in my arms. When I would lie down on the floor he would walk up to me and spread my arms apart so he could lay down there. We had countless wrestling matches. He would say, "Daddy I got you." I would ask if he really had me or I had him and then I would grab him while he giggled all the while.

That was eighteen years ago. On this trip he drove me to Brownwood while I sat in the passenger seat. This past Monday Taylor and I were sitting in Mims Auditorium on the campus of Howard Payne University. We were visiting the campus along with several other football recruits. As we toured the campus I recounted story after story of the time Brenda and I shared there.

"Taylor, here is where Big Eric had his 'O Well' moment in front of the Veda girls dorm. I wrestled some guys over on the front lawn in front of Jennings. Taylor, this is where we slid down the hall soaked in baby oil. That is where I hung a guy upside over the stair well for waking me up. Your mother and I used to take strolls in the evenings here. I preached sermons for a grade in this chapel. I used to practice football there. I played basketball with big Eric on 4th street. I built that while working in maintenance. I pointed out the bell towers where I chimed out with Stephanie Paul and then one year later handed the garland to my brother in Christ Eric Adcock" And so the day went. Memory after memory recalled. New memory after memory being made with my son.

I watched my eldest son step into his God ordained destiny to play football and study to be a history teacher and a coach at Howard Payne University. I smiled when he tried a Yellow Jackets football jersey on. Brought back a few memories. I watched him interact with professors, coaches, and football players. In some ways I saw my son growing up walking around that campus. I trusted God with him to go to school there and to play for the blue and gold. Sting 'Em Jackets!

I grinned when he took his first bite of Underwood's. He said, "Dad this is good!" It reminded me of the first time I ate there on a recruiting trip to Howard Payne with coach Bill Hicks. I never visited another campus. I was sold God willed me to be a Jacket. That is where I met Eric Adcock and other friends like Jase Waller, Bart Howell, Ken Collins, Jay Mayo, Kyle Horton, James Jackson, Will Carrier and Dave Smith. Eric introduced me to Brenda Ortiz who became my wife a few years later. At Howard Payne I learned more about God, served my first church as a youth pastor, preached my first sermons, learned more about the Bible, and learned the value of relationships like with Frankie Rainey and David and Lynn Munden.

Taylor has felt God's call to follow in our footsteps to be Jacket. I am excited for him. Sad to see him grow up but excited to see God's will for him starting to unfold. Things have come full circle. It seemed weird walking the campus as a parent rather than as a student. What a great day. Many more will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment